Learn more about the Music Education program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Intermediate Piano Pedagogy program is for pianists who want to teach intermediate piano students. Classes offered include learning various methods, techniques, repertoire, skills, style and musicianship necessary to teach piano effectively.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Intermediate Piano Pedagogy (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Compare and contrast the characteristics and styles of the music of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods.
- Analyze, practice and perform solo and ensemble piano pieces to enhance performance skills and techniques.
- Analyze, compare, and evaluate intermediate through early advanced piano teaching techniques, methods and repertoire.
- Analyze, practice, develop and perform basic jazz piano skills, including chord construction, chord voicing, accompanying and solo piano arrangements.
- Analyze, practice, develop and perform sight-reading skills, ensemble playing and accompanying.
- Analyze, develop and demonstrate techniques for third semester level private piano instruction emphasizing musicianship, literature and performance.
- Describe the key events, accomplishments and innovations relating to keyboard literature in music history and music literature to 1750.
- Analyze, develop and demonstrate techniques for fourth semester level private piano instruction emphasizing musicianship, literature and performance.
Certificate of Completion in Beginning Piano Pedagogy (5743)
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|Survey of Music History or Music History and Literature 1750 to Present||No requisites or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MHL241 or permission of instructor.||RC||3|
|MUP123AA||Studio Class/Piano||Corequisites: Private Piano Instruction.||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit||RC||0.5|
|MUP141||Intermediate Piano Pedagogy||Prerequisites: Permission of Program Director or Instructor.||RC||2|
|MUP181||Chamber Music Ensembles||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit||RC||1|
|MUP202AD||Private Instruction: Piano||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP152AD.||May be repeated for credit||RC||2|
|MUP123AA||Studio Class/Piano||Corequisites: Private Piano Instruction.||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit.||RC||0.5|
|MUP166||Jazz Piano I||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP131 or permission of Instructor.||RC||1|
|MUP181||Chamber Music Ensembles||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit.||RC||1|
|MUP241||Piano Artistry||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP240 or permission of Instructor.||RC||2|
|MUP252AD||Private Instruction: Piano||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP202AD.||May be repeated for credit||RC||2|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Intermediate Piano Pedagogy (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125904).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|