Learn more about the Music Industry Studies program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
- Jump to the Course Sequence
- Print Course Sequence
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Intermediate Piano Pedagogy program is for pianists who want to teach intermediate piano students. Classes offered include learning various methods, techniques, repertoire, skills, style and musicianship necessary to teach piano effectively.
Important information you’ll need when applying for admission:
- Field of Interest
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Academic Plan
- Intermediate Piano Pedagogy (CER)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Effective Term
- Fall 2018
- Program Notes
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Compare and contrast the characteristics and styles of the music of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods.
- Analyze, practice and perform solo and ensemble piano pieces to enhance performance skills and techniques.
- Analyze, compare, and evaluate intermediate through early advanced piano teaching techniques, methods and repertoire.
- Analyze, practice, develop and perform basic jazz piano skills, including chord construction, chord voicing, accompanying and solo piano arrangements.
- Analyze, practice, develop and perform sight-reading skills, ensemble playing and accompanying.
- Analyze, develop and demonstrate techniques for third semester level private piano instruction emphasizing musicianship, literature and performance.
- Describe the key events, accomplishments and innovations relating to keyboard literature in music history and music literature to 1750.
- Analyze, develop and demonstrate techniques for fourth semester level private piano instruction emphasizing musicianship, literature and performance.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Musicians and Singers
Certificate of Completion in Beginning Piano Pedagogy (5743)
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include FYE101 and FYE103. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
Note: Because you are viewing this pathway map on a mobile device, some columns below have been hidden. To view all columns, please rotate your device or view this page on a device with a larger screen.
|Course Number||Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Area||Credits|
|Survey of Music History or Music History and Literature 1750 to Present||No requisites or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MHL241 or permission of instructor.||HU||3|
|MUP123AA||Studio Class/Piano||Corequisites: Private Piano Instruction.||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit||RC||0.5|
|MUP141||Intermediate Piano Pedagogy||Prerequisites: Permission of Program Director or Instructor.||2|
|MUP181||Chamber Music Ensembles||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit||1|
|MUP202AD||Private Instruction: Piano||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP152AD.||May be repeated for credit||RC||2|
|Course Number||Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Area||Credits|
|MUP123AA||Studio Class/Piano||Corequisites: Private Piano Instruction.||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit.||RC||0.5|
|MUP166||Jazz Piano I||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP131 or permission of Instructor.||RC||1|
|MUP181||Chamber Music Ensembles||Two semesters of the course is required. May be repeated for credit.||1|
|MUP241||Piano Artistry||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP240 or permission of Instructor.||RC||2|
|MUP252AD||Private Instruction: Piano||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUP202AD.||May be repeated for credit||RC||2|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Course Area Key
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
This certificate is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Intermediate Piano Pedagogy (https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125904).
Previous Catalog Years
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. All previous catalog years for this pathway map are available at the link below.