Contact the Program Director
Residential Faculty - Program Director - Automotive Technology
Office: TC 50 - Room: 229
This program is part of the Applied Sciences and Technology Department.
Interested in a great career working on diesel-powered vehicles and engines? Begin earning an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Caterpillar Technician Training at Mesa Community College and, in less than two years, you could be working an in-demand job for the legendary big equipment company as a fully credentialed Caterpillar Dealer Service Technician.
MCC is the only Arizona college partnering in the ThinkBIG training program with Caterpillar and local CAT dealer Empire Southwest. Through hands-on training and internships, you’ll study how to use advanced technology to service and repair Caterpillar machines and equipment. Gain knowledge in electronically-controlled engines, sophisticated computer-based diagnosis and state-of-the-art hydraulics and transmissions, as well as other high-demand skills. The program combines general education curriculum, specialized technological coursework and practical experience.
Why Become a Caterpillar Technician?
- Named one of America's Best Employers 1
- Among America's Top Public Companies 1
- Job growth predicted through 2024 2
- More than 170 Caterpillar dealerships worldwide 3
1 Forbes magazine May 2017
2 Bureau of Labor Statistics
3 Caterpillar 2017
Available Associate Degree
|Degree / Certificate||Type||Title||Courses|
|Associate in Applied Science||AAS||Caterpillar Technician Training||Course List|
How to Get Started
This is a partnership program. You will be an MCC student AND a Student Caterpillar Technician in the ThinkBIG program at Empire Southwest.
First, enroll in MCC and take placement tests to discover the classes in which you are best able to succeed. There is no cost for enrolling in the college or taking the tests. You pay only when you register for classes.
- Enroll at mesacc.edu/enroll/welcome
- Your degree is AA Caterpillar Technician Training/Academic Plan Code 3005
- Apply for admission to the college
- Apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA – mesacc.edu/financial-aid/apply
- Set up your student email
- Take placement tests in math, reading and writing - required to interview at Empire Southwest
Apply for the ThinkBIG program, admission is competitive. Applications are taken between January and March, interviews are held in April and May with classes starting in the fall semester (August). MCC can help prepare you to qualify for the ThinkBIG program with general education courses as well as automotive and welding classes. For more information, contact the MCC program director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Go to the Empire Southwest ThinkBIG job page January through March
- Follow the application steps
- Attend informational meetings
- If you are not accepted immediately, pursue related industry employment and additional education at MCC and reapply