Ask general questions at our support center.
- Jump to the Course Sequence
- Print Course Sequence
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Health Science Education is designed for clinical educators, clinical preceptors, or healthcare professionals who are interested in healthcare education. Students will develop and design health sciences curricula, become familiar with various technologies, conduct assessments of student learning, and learn the importance and relevance of research in healthcare education.
This program offers students opportunities to develop instructional practices in health sciences through the delivery and application of the foundations of teaching, learning, research, technology, and educational effectiveness. Students will enhance their educational skills and increase their academic foundation to teach in a variety of settings.
Important information you’ll need when applying for admission:
- Field of Interest
- Health Sciences
- Certificate of Completion (CCL)
- Academic Plan
- Health Science Education (CER)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Effective Term
- Fall 2023
This program is designed for any healthcare worker who is interested in teaching.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in each course in the program.
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Demonstrate instructional strategies and methods related to health science education in curriculum design for didactic and clinical practice.
- Discover the purpose and role of research in healthcare education.
- Utilize healthcare program standards and student outcome data to assess healthcare program effectiveness.
- Incorporate the use of technology to facilitate student learning through communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity.
- Create a classroom environment that fosters innovation, ethics, and diversity.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Health Education Specialists
Current healthcare industry credential; or experience in healthcare education; or bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in a healthcare field; and permission from the Program Coordinator.
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include FYE101 and FYE103. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
Note: Because you are viewing this pathway map on a mobile device, some columns below have been hidden. To view all columns, please rotate your device or view this page on a device with a larger screen.
|Course Number||Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Credits|
|HSE101||Teaching Foundations in Healthcare Education||Prerequisites: None.||3|
|HSE102||Ethics and Diversity in Healthcare Educational Settings||Prerequisites: None.||2|
|HSE103||Curriculum Design and Teaching in Healthcare Education||Prerequisites: None.||2|
|HSE104||Assessment and Evaluation in Clinical Education||Prerequisites: None.||3|
|HSE105||Technology Integration and Design for Healthcare Education||Prerequisites: None.||2|
|Course Number||Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Credits|
|HSE107||Research Methods for Healthcare Education||Prerequisites: None.||1|
|HSE108||Practicum in Healthcare Education||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in HSE101, HSE102, HSE103, HSE104, HSE105, and HSE107, or permission of Program Director.||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, meet with an academic advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s official curriculum documentation for additional details regarding the requirements of this award (https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm11?id=180322).