Learn more about the Digital Arts program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Digital Arts: Graphic Design prepares student to work in a specialized field of graphic design as production artists, graphic designers, art directors, pre-press specialists and service bureau personnel. The program emphasizes design and production principles and develops the students knowledge and skills required to solve graphic design and layout problems encountered in various print media. The program is designed for both those seeking to enter a career in graphic art and those already working in the field who wish to advance and update their knowledge and skills.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Digital Arts: Graphic Design (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Use various software applications to create finished artwork, which illustrates understanding of layout, design, typography, and color use in graphics.
- Use basic operational systems, digital image manipulation, and computer operations to produce art electronically.
- Use a page layout software package to create camera-ready material.
- Operate computer hardware and use appropriate software.
- Use design elements and principles to produce various design projects.
- Create and produce Web pages by applying appropriate design, color, and graphics.
- Describe screen percentages, line art, halftone art, and four-color separation processes as related to the computer.
- Produce photographs that demonstrate principles of composition and design.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Multimedia Artists and Animators
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|ART100||Introduction to Computer Graphic Art||RC||1|
|ART183||Computer Aided Graphic Arts I||Prerequisites or Corequisites: ART100 or permission of instructor.||RC||3|
|ART190||Art of Web Site Design||Course offered in Fall only||RC||3|
|ART169||Two-Dimensional Computer Design||Prerequisites or Corequisites: ART100 or permission of instructor.||RC||3|
|ART283||Computer Aided Graphic Arts II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in ADA183 or ART183 or permission of Instructor.||Course offered in Spring only||RC||3|
|ART177||Computer-Photographic Imaging||Prerequisites or Corequisites: ART100 or permission of instructor.||RC||3|
|ART142||Introduction to Digital Photography||RC||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Digital Arts: Graphic Design (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125902).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|