AAS Sustainable Agriculture
Academic Plan Code
MCCCD Program Detail
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program. ++ indicates any suffixed courses
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Sustainable Agriculture program focuses on sustainable agriculture, agribusiness, and urban farming. This program is designed to prepare individuals for employment in Agribusiness.
What You’ll Learn
This program will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Utilize computer applications relevant to the field for communication, production decisions, business management and cost analysis.
- Synthesize multiple sources of information to assist in decision making relative to agricultural business planning and operations.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors and abide by norms and conventions appropriate to the field.
- Employ effective oral, written, and visual communication skills in a culturally sensitive and responsive manner.
- Evaluate sustainable food production systems in rural and urban settings.
- Operate equipment adhering to proper safety, ethical, and environmental protocols.
- Effectively plant, maintain and harvest crops by synthesizing principles of plant growth and responses to particular soils, climate, sun exposure, water availability, nutrients, and pests.
- Apply environmentally and socially responsible agricultural practices.
- Establish, select and maintain facilities for alternative crop production systems, including raising fish and vegetables in a closed-looped system.
- Use various media to market agricultural crops, including brand development, social networking, direct marketing, community supported agriculture.
- Explain the physical and chemical properties of soil as they relate to pH, water, nutrients, and organic matter.
- Analyze sustainable and conventional food production systems within historical and contemporary contexts.
- Design and install irrigation systems using blueprints, specifications, and appropriate equipment.
Required Courses Credits: 39-42
|Students must select two (2) of the following courses:|
|AGB132||Agribusiness and Management||3|
|AGS186||Greenhouse Management and Construction||3|
|General Education Requirements||Credits: 15-18|
|First-Year Composition||Credits: 6|
|ENG101||First-Year Composition (3) OR|
|ENG107||First-Year Composition for ESL (3) AND|
|ENG102||First-Year Composition (3) OR|
|ENG108||First-Year Composition for ESL (3)||6|
|Oral Communication||Credits: 3|
|Any approved general education course in the Oral Communication area|
|Critical Reading||Credits: 0-3|
|CRE101||College Critical Reading and Critical Thinking (3) OR|
|Equivalent as indicated by assessment||0-3|
|MAT112||Mathematical Concepts and Applications (3) OR|
|Higher level mathematics course||3|
|Humanities, Arts and Design||Credits: 3|
|Any approved general education course in the Humanities, Arts and Design area.||3|
|Natural Sciences||Credits: 0|
|Met by AGS260 in the Required Courses area.|
|Social-Behavioral Sciences||Credits: 0|
|Met by SSH111 in the Required Courses area.|
This Associate in Applied Science is associated with
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Associate in Applied Science in Sustainable Agriculture (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=135247).