CCL Fire Science
Academic Plan Code
MCCCD Program Detail
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses within the program.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Fire Science program is designed for students who need (1) advanced training as professional firefighters, (2) basic preparation courses for a career in fire services and/or (3) more comprehensive information about fire hazards and prevention. A unique feature of the program is that the instructors are professional firefighters. There is a related Fire Science emphasis (Track IV) available in the Emergency Response and Operations Associate of Applied Science degree program.
What You’ll Learn
This program will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Describe the chemical processes utilized in dealing with hazardous materials incidence.
- Recognize and identify the chemical and physical properties of hazardous materials.
- Describe the problems concerning fire prevention techniques, procedures, regulations, code enforcement, and occupancy survey.
- Describe the characteristics and behavior of fire and extinguishing agents.
- Describe fire suppression organization, basic fire fighting tactics, and public relations as affected by fire suppression.
- Describe the methods of attacking, controlling, and extinguishing various types of fires.
- Describe the principles of care, maintenance, and operation of fire apparatus and pumper trucks.
- Explain the fire department's ethical and moral responsibility in serving the public.
- Describe ethical situations and conflicts in values that may arise in fire service, and suggest possible resolutions and methods for coping.
- Explain emergency planning concepts and implementation strategies for response and prevention.
- Describe and explain historical events and components of an integrated emergency medical system, including the role of development and processes for assessing threat.
- Describe personal and practical skills needed to enhance customer service in the public sector.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|FSC105||Hazardous Materials/First Responder||3|
|FSC108||Fundamentals of Fire Prevention||3|
|FSC113||Introduction to Fire Suppression||3|
|FSC119||Introduction Fire Service Ethics||3|
|AJS/DPR/FSC147||Emergency Preparedness (3) OR|
|AJS/DPR/FSC148||Fundamentals of Emergency Management (3)||3|
|FSC208||Firefighter Safety and Building Construction||3|
|FSC215||Customer Service in the Public Sector||3|
Meet with an Advisor
Click here for MCC’s easy-to-use Enrollment Steps.
Before signing up for classes, you’ll want to meet with an academic advisor. Together, you’ll lay out a program and career path that suits you best. This step is essential to your academic success.
This Certificate of Completion is associated with
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Certificate of Completion in Fire Science (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125933).