CCL Sustainable Food Systems
Academic Plan Code
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Sustainable Food Systems program is designed for students who want to learn about historical events that mark the nation's current food model and take part in creating solutions to alter this model to produce a more sustainable food system worldwide. Course topics include concepts covering gardening concepts, food safety and security, sustainability principles and strategies, global food systems and sustainable food productions systems. Students may also earn certification in a national food service safety and sanitation program. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Sustainable Food Systems is also available.
Admission Criteria: Formal application and admission into the Sustainable Food Systems Program is required.
ENG101 First-Year Composition (3) OR
ENG107 First-Year Composition for ESL (3) 3
Course Sequence by Term
The following is a suggested course sequence by term for the pathway. Students should keep in mind the items below that affect their success in completing the pathway as listed:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term. It is understood that students may enter the program at different times of the year.
- Academic achievement is related to initial course placement determined by course placement tests, completion of 100-200 level course pre-/corequisites, any courses below 100 level, and program prerequisites.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor, or program director, or counselor who can assist in assessing student needs that may affect course enrollment. Appropriate resources can be discussed and agreed to in order to address student needs and support successful course completion.
Program Area Key:
- Critical Rdg = Critical Reading
- FYC = First Year Composition
- HUM = Humanities, Arts and Design
- Mathematics = Mathematics
- NS = Natural Science
- Oral Comm = Oral Communication
- PP = Program Prerequisite
- SB = Social-Behavioral Sciences
- RC = Required Courses
- RE = Restricted Electives
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
|Program Prerequisites||ENG101 or
|First-Year Composition or
First-Year Composition for ESL
|Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement test score, or a grade of "C" or better in ENG091 or ESL097.||3|
|RC||AGS182||Gardening Practices and Techniques||2|
|RC||FON104||Certification in Food Service Safety and Sanitation||1|
|RC||SUS100||Introduction to Sustainability||3|
|RC||FON161||Sustainable Food Production Systems||3|
Select from the following courses to meet the Restricted Electives requirement.
|RE||CUL105||Principles and Skills for Professional Cooking||3|
|RE||CUL113||Commercial Baking Techniques||3|
|RE||FON143||Food and Culture||3|
|RE||FON163||Sustainable Restaurant Practices||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Click here for MCC's easy-to-use Enrollment Steps.
Ask general questions over the phone at 480-461-7400 or via online chat.
All information is administered by the Center for Curriculum and Transfer Articulation at Maricopa County Community College District and published is subject to change without notice. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of information presented, but based on the dynamic nature of the curricular process, course and program information is subject to change in order to reflect the most current information available.
View MCCCD's program website for the Certificate of Completion in Sustainable Food Systems (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=73385).