Learn more about the Theatre program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Technical Theatre: Audio Technician is designed to prepare students to apply live sound reinforcement in theatre productions. Classes include instruction in live sound reinforcement, setting up equipment, and sound design for theatrical productions. A Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Technical Theatre and the Associate in Arts, Fine Arts (AAFA), Emphasis in Theatre are also available.
Important information you’ll need when applying for admission:
- Field of Interest
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Academic Plan
- Technical Theatre: Audio Technician (CER)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Program Notes
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of audio signal flow.
- Demonstrate proper use of dynamic and time-based audio effects.
- Demonstrate the setup, placement, care, and use of mics, speakers, monitors, and mixing consoles according to industry standards.
- Apply knowledge of various mic types and placement on actors.
- Apply audio mixing skills in a theatre production.
- Demonstrate proper programming and use of an audio cueing system for theatrical use.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Sound Engineering Technicians
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Part-time status is 11 credit hours or less.
|MUC197||Live Sound Reinforcement I||Critical course Gateway course||3|
|MUC122||Sound Design I||3|
|THP251||Safety Practices in Theatre and Film Production||1|
|MUC198||Live Sound Reinforcement II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC197.||3|
|Theatre Production I or Theatre Production II or Theatre Production Projects or Theatre Production I Electrics||May be taken in first or second term.||1–2|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Course Area Key
Gateway Course = Generally the first major-specific course in a pathway.
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
This certificate is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Technical Theatre: Audio Technician (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=147496).