June 2 - July 3, 2023
Scholarships & Funding
Contact the Program Director
Dr. Barry Vaughan
Philosophy & Religious Studies Department
Office: BP 43A - 44
The program is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology located in the medieval city of Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland. Situated in the heart of Ireland astride the River Shannon, the city is rich in culture and history.
Spend summer school in Ireland and see for yourself why the country is nicknamed the Emerald Island! Students will spend a full month immersing themselves in the study of Irish culture and history while exploring and experiencing the rich and diverse heritage of Ireland!
Using picturesque Athlone, Co. Westmeath as a home base, participants will make field trips to locations such as Dunamase and Emo Court, the megalithic monuments at Loughcrew and Trim Castle, spend several days in Ireland's Cultural Heart, Galway, and take a boat to Clonmacnoise.
- Cliffs of Moher (Ireland's most scenic location)
- Clonmacnoise (6th Century Monastery)
- Dublin City
- Dunamase Castle (Fortress of Strongbow)
- Emo Court (18th Century Palladian Style Manor)
- Galway City - 3 nights in Ireland's Cultural Heart
- Hill of Uisneach (sacred Iron Age site)
- Inis Mor (largest of the Aran Islands)
- Loughcrew (5ooo year old passage tombs)
- Trim Castle (Normal Castle of Hugh de Lacy)
- The Burren National Park (one of the most unique ecosystems in the world)
Courses Offered (6 credits)
- REL250 Religion in Ireland: Neolithic to Early Medieval 16480 (3 cr) [HU, H]
- Instructor: Dr. Barry Vaughan
- STO290 The Irish Storytelling Tradition 16533 (3 cr) [G]
- Instructor: Christiana Dart, SMCC
- Mandatory study abroad orientation on Saturday, April 15, 2023 from 9 am - 2 pm at MCC.
Ireland Program Details
- Study Abroad Ireland is held on the campus of Technological University of the Shannon located in picturesque Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland.
- Participants will be housed in the Croi Oige Student Village apartments conveniently located across from AIT's campus. Each 4-bedroom apartment is fully furnished and comes equipped with TV, iron and ironing boards, oven, microwave oven, refrigerator, electric kettle, all kitchen utensils, and bedding. Each bedroom comes with a study/computer desk and is internet ready with high speed internet access.
- Modern Athlone is a center of industry and education and home to one of Ireland's major institutes of technology. Because of its central location (between Dublin and Galway) it is a transportation hub by road and rail, and makes access to the rest of Ireland convenient.
Did You Know??
- Ireland is home to Newgrange, an ancient stone-and-earth burial site that is older than Stonehenge or the Egyptian pyramids.
- At least one million people died in five years in Ireland during the great potato famine of the 1840s.
- Ireland did not legalize divorce until 1997.
- Ireland is nicknamed the Emerald Island because of its expansive lush, green fields.
- Currency used is the euro (sign: €; code: EUR).
- Read more detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Ireland (2022). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Ireland Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes lodging, academic facilities, cultural excursions, in-country ground transportation, and secondary medical insurance.
Program Fee Due: March 24, 2023
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance
Confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline.
Tuition: 6 credits
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $205 per credit hour
- Registration for Summer term begins in March.
- Tuition due dates: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options/payment-plan-schedules-due-dates
- For payment options: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options
- If not a current MCC student, you must admit yourself to MCC, prior to registering for courses.
- For payment assistance, call 480.461.7400 or contact Cashier Services.
Airfare (estimated cost) $1,600
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Meals are NOT included in program fee
$1,000 Not needed until you land in Ireland!
$ 35 TOTAL Estimated Costs $5,301 (program fee, tuition, airfare and meals) ADDITIONAL COSTS Possible PCR Tests/Transportation (estimate) $TBA
Subject to change
Insurance for Participants 60+ Years of Age $3.56 per day The program fee includes secondary insurance for participants ages 18-59. There is an additional insurance charge for students 60 years and over. Textbooks Approx. $50 Passport
Passport Info HereYour passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the date of your return to the USA.
- Be sure to allow at least 14-18 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
- Visit the U.S. Department of State websitefor current fees and processing times.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited.
Apply early to reserve your place!
- Application Deadline: March 3, 2023
Application cycle now open!
- Complete online application.
- Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications are reviewed/approved on a rolling basis.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
Title Date(s) More Information
A New Leaf Assets to Opportunity (ATO)
A match savings program designed to help individuals save their own money in a special savings account and have their money matched for tuition, textbooks, and some study abroad program expenses with an 8:1 match.
October 31, 2022
- Must have earned income
- Be a resident of Arizona
- Income must be at or below 200% of federal poverty line
- Commit to saving $500 and saving for at least 3 months
- Commit to making $30 deposits twice per month
- Complete a financial wellness workshop
1 application for 2 scholarships!
IE Study Abroad Scholarship
- Does NOT require FAFSA but it helps!
- If you are receiving financial aid from another MCCCD college, please share your FAFSA with MCC (school code 001077) two weeks prior to scholarship deadline.
- Award Range: $250-$900
- Requires 2022-23 FAFSA
- Award Range: $250-$500
Deadline: Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
- Be accepted into your study abroad program. Apply early!
- Pay the program deposit of $250 online, at Cashier Services, or by calling 480.461.7400.
- IE Study Abroad Scholarship awards will be announced via email in late February.
- Maricopa Grant awards will be announced mid-April to May when Summer financial aid begins awarding.
STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Keyword Search: Study Abroad Program at Mesa Community College
MCC Honors Program Scholarship
Maximum Award: $500
March 3, 2023
If you are a current MCC Honors Program student in good standing, you can apply for up to a $500 study abroad scholarship!
Information Sessions & Mandatory Orientation