June 2-July 1, 2024
The program is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology located in the medieval city of Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland. Situated in the heart of Ireland astride the River Shannon, the city is rich in culture and history.
Spend summer school in Ireland and see for yourself why the country is nicknamed the Emerald Island! Students will spend a full month immersing themselves in the study of Irish culture and history while exploring and experiencing the rich and diverse heritage of Ireland!
Using picturesque Athlone, Co. Westmeath as a home base, participants will make field trips to locations such as Dunamase and Emo Court, the megalithic monuments at Loughcrew and Trim Castle, spend several days in Ireland's Cultural Heart, Galway, and take a boat to Clonmacnoise.
- Cliffs of Moher (Ireland's most scenic location)
- Clonmacnoise (6th Century Monastery)
- Dublin City
- Dunamase Castle (Fortress of Strongbow)
- Emo Court (18th Century Palladian Style Manor)
- Galway City - 3 nights in Ireland's Cultural Heart
- Hill of Uisneach (sacred Iron Age site)
- Inis Mor (largest of the Aran Islands)
- Loughcrew (5ooo year old passage tombs)
- Trim Castle (Normal Castle of Hugh de Lacy)
- The Burren National Park (one of the most unique ecosystems in the world)
Summer Courses You Will Take During Program
- 6 credit program
- REL250 Religion in Ireland: Neolithic to Early Medieval (3 cr) [HU, H]
- Instructor: Dr. Barry Vaughan
- STO290 The Irish Storytelling Tradition (3 cr) [G]
- Instructor: TBA
- Mandatory study abroad orientation on Saturday, April 13, 2024 from 9 am - 2 pm at MCC.
Ireland Program Details
- Study Abroad Ireland is held on the campus of Technological University of the Shannon located in picturesque Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland.
- Participants will be housed in the Croi Oige Student Village apartments conveniently located across from AIT's campus. Each 4-bedroom apartment is fully furnished and comes equipped with TV, iron and ironing boards, oven, microwave oven, refrigerator, electric kettle, all kitchen utensils, and bedding. Each bedroom comes with a study/computer desk and is internet ready with high speed internet access.
- Modern Athlone is a center of industry and education and home to one of Ireland's major institutes of technology. Because of its central location (between Dublin and Galway) it is a transportation hub by road and rail, and makes access to the rest of Ireland convenient.
Did You Know??
- Ireland is home to Newgrange, an ancient stone-and-earth burial site that is older than Stonehenge or the Egyptian pyramids.
- At least one million people died in five years in Ireland during the great potato famine of the 1840s.
- Ireland did not legalize divorce until 1997.
- Ireland is nicknamed the Emerald Island because of its expansive lush, green fields.
- Currency used is the euro (sign: €; code: EUR).
- Read more detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Ireland (2023). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Ireland Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
Program Fee Due: March 22, 2024
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance
Confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline.
Tuition: 6 credits
|Airfare (estimated cost)||$1,550||
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Meals are NOT included in program fee
|$1,200||Not needed until you land in Ireland!|
CityLink rail from Dublin airport to Athlone and back
|$ 38||Not needed until you land in Ireland!|
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$5,155||(program fee, tuition, airfare and meals)|
|Insurance for Participants 60+ Years of Age||$3.56 per day||The program fee includes secondary insurance for participants ages 18-59. There is an additional insurance charge of $3.56 per day for students 60 years and over.|
Passport to Success Grant
Maricopa Community Colleges was selected by the Institute of International Education (IIE) to receive an IIE American Passport Project Grant that will enable up to 25 eligible students from one of our 10 community colleges the funding and application assistance needed to receive a U.S. passport. Award recipients will be chosen by a competitive selection process, in line with our funding source’s requirements and our goals to increase underrepresented student study abroad participation.
The award amount is $165. The $165 will cover the costs for the application fee for a U.S. passport book ($130) and the execution/acceptance fee ($35).
This award will not cover other fees, which may include passport photos, expedited delivery fees, or travel expenses to submit application materials at the nearest passport application processing center. If you have difficulty with transportation, email and we will try to assist students.
Application and Deadline
no later than November 20, 2023.
Students will be nominated/awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are no longer available or until December 15, 2023. If you have never had a U.S. passport before, we greatly encourage you to apply!
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited. Apply early to reserve your place!
If program reaches full capacity, you will be put on a waitlist.