May 29-June 29, 2020 - Applications Now Open!
The program is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology located in the medieval city of Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland. Situated in the heart of Ireland astride the River Shannon, the city is rich in culture and history.
Spend summer school in Ireland and see for yourself why the country is nicknamed the Emerald Island! Students will spend a full month immersing themselves in the study of Irish culture and history while exploring and experiencing the rich and diverse heritage of Ireland!
Using picturesque Athlone, Co. Westmeath as a home base, participants will make field trips to locations such as Dunamase and Emo Court, the megalithic monuments at Loughcrew and Trim Castle, spend several days in Ireland's Cultural Heart, Galway, and take a boat to Clonmacnoise.
- Cliffs of Moher (Ireland's most scenic location)
- Clonmacnoise (6th Century Monastery)
- Dublin City
- Dunamase Castle (Fortress of Strongbow)
- Emo Court (18th Century Palladian Style Manor)
- Galway City - 3 nights in Ireland's Cultural Heart
- Hill of Uisneach (sacred Iron Age site)
- Inis Mor (largest of the Aran Islands)
- Loughcrew (5ooo year old passage tombs)
- Trim Castle (Normal Castle of Hugh de Lacy)
- The Burren National Park (one of the most unique ecosystems in the world)
Courses Offered (6 credits)
- REL250 Religion in Ireland: Neolithic to Early Medieval (3 cr) [HU, H]
- Instructor: Dr. Barry Vaughan
- STO290 The Irish Storytelling Tradition (3 cr) [G]
- Instructor: TBA
Ireland Program Details
- Study Abroad Ireland is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT) located in picturesque Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland.
- Participants will be housed in the Croi Oige Student Village apartments conveniently located across from AIT's campus. Each 4-bedroom apartment is fully furnished and comes equipped with TV, iron and ironing boards, oven, microwave oven, refrigerator, electric kettle, all kitchen utensils, and bedding. Each bedroom comes with a study/computer desk and is internet ready with high speed internet access.
- Modern Athlone is a center of industry and education and home to one of Ireland's major institutes of technology. Because of its central location (between Dublin and Galway) it is a transportation hub by road and rail, and makes access to the rest of Ireland convenient.
Did You Know??
- Ireland is home to Newgrange, an ancient stone-and-earth burial site that is older than Stonehenge or the Egyptian pyramids.
- At least one million people died in five years in Ireland during the great potato famine of the 1840s.
- Ireland did not legalize divorce until 1997.
- Ireland is nicknamed the Emerald Island because of its expansive lush, green fields.
- Currency used is the Euro (sign: €; code: EUR).
- Read more detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Ireland (2019). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes lodging, academic facilities, cultural excursions, in-country ground transportation, and secondary medical insurance.
Program Fee Due: Friday, February 28, 2020
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance
Confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline.
Tuition: 6 credits
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $205 per credit hour
Registration for Summer term begins in March.
Tuition Due: Upon registration for courses
If not a current MCC student, you must admit yourself to MCC prior to registering for courses.
For tuition payment options, visit: www.maricopa.edu/become-a-student/tuition-paying/payment-options
For payment assistance, call 480.461.7400 or contact Cashier Services.
Airfare (estimated cost) $1,365
Group airfare through STA Travel will be available for (TBA in October). Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
$300 airfare deposit deadline: February 27, 2020
Balance due: April 16, 2020
Meals are NOT included in program fee
$1,000 Not needed until you land in Ireland! TOTAL Estimated Costs $4,552 (program fee, tuition, airfare and meals) ADDITIONAL COSTS Course Fee $ N/A Textbooks
Dependent upon chosen courses
$50 Prior to start of class Passport
Be sure to allow at least 6 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
Visit the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for current fees and processing times.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited. Apply early to reserve your place!
Application Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2020
Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Complete online application.
Applications are reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
Title Date(s) More Information
Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2020
11:59 pm MST
Maximum Award: $1,000
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
- Be accepted into the program you are a applying for a scholarship to
- Pay the program deposit of $250 online, at Cashier Services, or by calling 480.461.7400.
2020 Study Abroad Scholarship: link TBA
Global Ties Arizona Study Abroad Scholarship
Deadline: October 1, 2019
5 pm MST
For students interested in international relations, diplomacy, international trade or any area of international business, Global Ties offers a $2,000 scholarship opportunity.
- Demonstrate an interest in any of the following areas: international development, international relations, international trade, international economics, or international business
- Completed at least 12 credit hours of college work
- Maintained a 3.0 or better GPA (transcripts must be submitted)
- Priority will be given to youth representing a minority or disadvantaged group in the community that meet all the qualifications as indicated by Global Ties.
- Letters of recommendation (2 professors/instructors).
- Submit a 1,500 – 2,000 word research essay on the following subject: How can citizen diplomacy lessen conflict among nations?
Up to $500 Award
Deadline: February 14, 2020
Submit to Honors Office
If you are a current MCC Honors Program student in good standing, you can apply for up to a $500 study abroad scholarship!
Information Sessions & Mandatory Orientation