June 2 - July 3, 2017
Contact the Program Director
Spend summer school in Ireland! Students will spend a full month immersing themselves in the study of Irish culture and history while exploring and experiencing the rich and diverse heritage of Ireland!
Using picturesque Athlone, Co. Westmeath as a home base, participants will make field trips to locations such as Dunamase and Emo Court, the megalithic monuments at Loughcrew and Trim Castle, spend several days in Ireland's Cultural Heart, Galway, and take a boat to Clonmacnoise.
Did You Know?
- Ireland is home to Newgrange, an ancient stone-and-earth burial site that is older than Stonehenge or the Egyptian pyramids.
- At least one million people died in five years in Ireland during the great potato famine of the 1840s.
- Ireland did not legalize divorce until 1997.
- Ireland is nicknamed the Emerald Island because of its expansive lush, green fields.
- Currency used is the Euro.
- Cliffs of Moher (Ireland's most scenic location)
- Clonmacnoise (6th Century Monastery)
- Dublin City
- Dunamase Castle (Fortress of Strongbow)
- Emo Court (18th Century Palladian Style Manor)
- Galway City - Ireland's Cultural Heart
- Inis Mor (largest of the Aran Islands)
- Loughcrew (5ooo year old passage tombs)
- Trim Castle (Normal Castle of Hugh de Lacy)
- The Burren National Park (one of the most unique ecosystems in the world)
The program is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology located in the medieval city of Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland. Situated in the heart of Ireland astride the River Shannon, the city is rich in culture and history.
Modern Athlone is a center of industry and education and home to one of Ireland's major institutes of technology. Because of its central location (between Dublin and Galway) it is a transportation hub by road and rail, and makes access to the rest of Ireland convenient.
Courses Offered (6 credits-choose 2 courses)
- ART142 17542 Introduction to Digital Photography (3 cr); requires $35 course fee
- Instructor: TBA
- REL250 18118 Religion in Ireland: Neolithic to Early Medieval (3 cr) [HU, H]
- Instructor: Dr. Barry Vaughan
- STO290 18262 The Irish Storytelling Tradition (3 cr) [G]
- Instructor: Liz Warren (South Mtn CC)
Estimated Program Costs
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
Program Fee Due: March 1, 2017
Still accepting late applications
Tuition: 6 credits
|Tuition Due: 35 days prior to course start date Registration begins in March.|
|Airfare (estimated cost)||$1,400||
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Meals are NOT included in program fee
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$4,531||(program fee, tuition, airfare and meals)|
Dependent upon chosen courses
|$100||Prior to start of class|
|$135||Please allow up to 6 weeks for processing.|
Study Abroad Ireland Program Details
- Study Abroad Ireland is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT) located in picturesque Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland.
- Participants will be housed in the Croi Oige Student Village apartments conveniently located across from AIT's campus. Each 4-bedroom apartment is fully furnished and comes equipped with TV, iron and ironing boards, oven, microwave oven, refrigerator, electric kettle, all kitchen utensils, and bedding. Each bedroom comes with a study/computer desk and is internet ready with high speed internet access.
- Read detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Dates to Remember
Wednesdays: 6-6:45 pm
September 14 & 28, 2016
October 12 & 26, 2016
November 9, 2016
Jan. 25 & Feb. 8, 2017
Room 608 AB in Building 38 (Use Compliance Services entrance at the south side of Bldg 38.)
September 15 & 29, 2016
October 13 & 27, 2016
November 10, 2016
Jan. 26 & Feb. 9, 2017
Enrollment Center EC115A (Building 39)
All Info Sessions located at the Southern & Dobson Campus
Financial Aid Workshops from 2:15-3:15 pm following Thursday Info Sessions.
For information, contact Juan Carlos Sanchez at 480.461.7312.
In order to qualify for the Fast Tracking the Dream IDA accounts for the 2017 study abroad programs, you must be enrolled by October 31, 2016
Workshops: Location: AS195 (SD Campus)
Monday, Sept., 26 at 10 am
Monday, Oct. 24 at 2 pm
For information, contact 480.833.9200 x3417.
Friday, Feb. 17, 2017
11:59 PM MST
Maximum Award: $1,000
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
Student must be accepted into a program PRIOR to applying for a scholarship.
Study Abroad Scholarship for Ireland
|Lois Kellogg-Duncan Memorial Study Abroad Scholarship||
Friday, Feb. 17, 2017
11:59 PM MST
Maximum Award: $800
Friday, March 24, 2017
Must purchase your own airfare as deadline has passed for group airfare.
Complete the online application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Apply early to reserve your place!
Friday, March 1, 2017
Program Fee Deadline: March 1, 2017
Tuition Deadline: Listed in your Student Center
Sat., April 8, 2017
9 am - 2 pm
You must attend the mandatory study abroad orientation! There may be additional required meetings for your specific program. Contact the Program Director for details.