May 30 - June 20, 2022
Contact the Program Director
The Nice and French Riviera (Cote d’Azur) program visits one of the most beautiful parts of the world in order to learn more about the history, language, culture, and marine habitats of this area that is bordered by the crystal blue waters of the Mediterranean and the grandeur of the French Alps.
The program’s home is Nice, the 5th largest city in France, and classes are held in a school in the Liberation-Borriglione quarter of the city, where participants can enjoy the Mediterranean sun between classes in the school’s garden. Nice is home to the famous Promenade des Anglais, which runs along its famous pebbled beach as well as several open-air markets and unique buildings. The location also offers easy access to other cities such as Cannes, Monaco, and St. Tropez.
Participants spend three weeks exploring the rich heritage of one of the world’s most beautiful and diverse areas with excursions to Antibes, St. Jean Cap Ferrat, Cagnes sur Mer, Monaco/Monte Carlo, and Beaulieu sur Mer. These excursions will offer participants the opportunity to visit historic sites, to go kayaking, scuba diving, snorkeling, and whale watching. Students will also visit sites in Nice such as Villa Massena, Museé Marc Chagall, Musée Matisse, Musee Archeologique, and Vieille Ville (Old Town).
Because the course focuses on the humanities and on marine biology, no knowledge of French is necessary. However, students will benefit from some short French lessons, taught by native speakers, that will help them converse in everyday situations in shops, restaurants, markets, and train stations.
Courses Offered (4 credit program)
- HUM107: Humanities Through the Arts (3 cr), [HU]
- Instructor: Dr. Mary Aldridge
- BIO149SV: Field Biology: Ecological and Environmental Field Experience (1cr)
- Instructor: Dr. Alex Cheroske
- Online coursework required from TBA, prior to departure.
- Guided tour of Nice
- Excursion to Beaulieu sur Mer (Tempe Sister City)
- Excursion to Antibes including kayaking in Cap d' Antibes
- Excursion to Monaco and Musee Oceanographique
- Visits to Nice Museums: Musée Masséna, Musée Marc Chagall, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Nice
- Excursion to Villa Euphrussi de Rothschild
- Walking tour of Cagnes-sur-Mer estuary
- Whale watching and scuba/snorkeling near Villefranche-sur-Mer
In addition to our planned excursions, participants may also take part in optional activities such as excursions to Cannes, Corsica, and Italy.
Nice Program Details
- Benefit from a French language immersion experience while studying the culture of Nice and the French Riviera. No previous French language skills are required!
- Homestays are provided with local families that include daily breakfast and dinner.
Did You Know?
- Under the monarchy, the heir to the French throne was called le dauphin (the dolphin), in reference to his coat of arms.
- Pets are very important in French culture, and pet dogs are allowed in public places like airports, malls, and many restaurants.
- France attracts more tourists than any other country in the world.
- The French population tends to resist foreign fast food because of concerns about genetically modified foods and globalization, which is seen as a threat to France's small farmers.
- French is an important international language. It is an official language of the United Nations and is second only to English in use between nations for communication, business, and diplomacy.
- The currency used is the Euro (sign: €; code: EUR).
- Read more detailed cultural information on France provided by CultureGrams™.
France (2021). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad France Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes homestay lodging, academic facilities, cultural excursions, in-country ground transportation, daily breakfast and dinner while living with your host family, and secondary medical insurance.
- Program Fee Due: April 1, 2022
- $250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance to program
- Confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline.
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $205 per credit hour
- Registration for Summer term begins in March.
- Tuition due dates: https://www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options/payment-plan-schedules-due-dates
- For payment options: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options If not a current MCC student, you must admit yourself to MCC, prior to registering for courses.
- For payment assistance, call 480.461.7400 or contact Cashier Services.
Airfare (estimated cost) $1,850
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Breakfast and dinners are included while living with your host family. Lunches are not included.
$300 Not needed until you land in France! TOTAL Estimated Costs $5,368 ADDITIONAL COSTS Possbile PCR Test to re-enter the U.S. $71 Subject to change Textbooks
No textbook required
$0 Passport $ 145/110 (new/renewal) Be sure to allow at least 14-18 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
Visit the U.S. Department of State website for current fees and processing times.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited.
Apply early to reserve your place!
Look for applications to open in late October.
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 4, 2022
- Complete online application.
- Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications are reviewed & approved on a rolling basis.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
Title Date(s) More Information
An IDA is a match savings program designed to help individuals save their own money in a special savings account and have their money matched for tuition, textbooks, and some study abroad program expenses with an 8:1 match after 6 months.
FRANCE ALLOWABLE MATCHStudent Contribution: $175.54
Match (after requirements are met): $1,404.34
October 31, 2021
- Must have earned income
- Must meet income and net worth requirements (income must be at or below 200% of federal poverty limit; net worth cannot exceed $10,000)
- Agree to save for 6 months
- Complete a financial wellness workshop
480-833-9200 (Ask for an IDA staff member)
1 application for 2 scholarships!
IE Study Abroad Scholarship
- Does NOT require FAFSA
- If you are receiving financial aid from another MCCCD college, please share your FAFSA with MCC (school code 001077) two weeks prior to scholarship deadline.
- Maximum Award: $1,000
- Requires 2021-22 FAFSA
- Maximum Award: Tuition for classes
- England/France/Scotland program excluded
Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2022
11:59 pm MST
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
- Be accepted into the program you are applying for a scholarship to
- Pay the program deposit of $250 online, at Cashier Services, or by calling 480.461.7400.
2022 Nice, France Study Abroad Scholarship Application:
Look for the application cycle to open in November.
Global Ties Arizona Study Abroad Scholarship
Award: $ TBA
For students interested in international relations, diplomacy, international trade or any area of international business, Global Ties offers a scholarship opportunity.
Eligibility (subject to change):
- Demonstrate an interest in any of the following areas: international development, international relations, international trade, international economics, or international business
- Completed at least 12 credit hours of college work
- Maintained a 3.0 or better GPA (transcripts must be submitted)
- Priority will be given to youth representing a minority or disadvantaged group in the community that meet all the qualifications as indicated by Global Ties.
- Letters of recommendation (2 professors/instructors).
- Submit a 1,500 – 2,000 word research essay on the following subject: How can citizen diplomacy lessen conflict among nations?
Up to $500 Award
March 11, 2022
Submit to Honors Office
If you are a current MCC Honors Program student in good standing, you can apply for up to a $500 study abroad scholarship!
Information Sessions & Mandatory Orientation