May 16-23, 2023
Contact the Program Director
This introduction to Marine Biology, designed for the non-major, will take you to the Sea of Cortez (our nearest ocean experience), which has one of the best intertidal expanses in the world! At low tide, as much as 300 feet of what was once covered by the sea is exposed.
Students will visit and learn about different aquatic habitats as well the organisms that live there. They will take part in an ongoing scientific survey of intertidal organisms in local habitats as well as sea lions and local bird populations. In addition to biology, our study abroad also focuses on the effects of the ocean on local culture and business.
Depending on the timing of the best tides, the dates of the program may vary from year to year.
Puerto Peñasco Excursions
- Bird-watching while kayaking through the Morua Estuary
- Take part in a bird census of the endangered California least tern and their nesting colony near a local estuary
- Lecture on whales at The Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO)
- Boat trip to Isla de San Jorge (Bird Island) to view, snorkel or possibly scuba dive* with a sea lion colony
- *additional cost for scuba diving
- Group excursions to explore the town of Puerto Peñasco during the evenings.
Courses Offered (1 credit)
- BIO149SVField Biology: Ecological and Environmental Field Experience (1)
- Instructor: Dr. Alex Cheroske
- Mandatory study abroad orientation on Saturday, April 15, 2023 from 9 am - 2 pm at MCC.
- NOTE: CEDO (Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans), the host institution for the Puerto Peñasco, Mexico program, requires COVID vaccinations.
Puerto Peñasco Program Details
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The daily excursions can include walking, hiking, and climbing on uneven surfaces such as sand, mud, and rock, both in and out of the water. The kayaking adventure requires a moderate level of upper arm and core body strength. Participants will be out in the sun every day.
- Between tides, students will collect specimens from the rocky intertidal area and compare with specimens found in a sandy intertidal area.
- If you are a certified scuba diver, there will be time for diving*. If you are NOT certified, and would like to explore the sport, a divemaster in the area will arrange this experience for an extra fee. Notify the Program Director if you are interested.
- *additional cost for scuba diving
Did You Know??
- Mexico has the largest population of Spanish speakers in the world.
- To show that something is expensive, Mexicans often make a fist and extend the index finger and thumb to form a C-shaped gesture.
- Mexicans drink more carbonated beverages than any other citizens in the world.
- As many as one hundred indigenous languages are still spoken in parts of Mexico.
- Currency used is the Mexican peso (symbol: $; code: MXN).
- Read more detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Mexico (2022). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Mexico Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes round trip transportation by van, field trips, lodging in the dormitories of Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO), secondary medical insurance, and daily breakfast & lunch.
- Program Fee Due: March 23, 2023
- $150 Confirmation Deposit (towards total program fee) Due: upon acceptance to program
- Confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline.
Tuition: 1 credit
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $205 per credit hour
- Registration for Summer term begins in March.
- Tuition due dates: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options/payment-plan-schedules-due-dates
- For payment options: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options
- If not a current MCC student, you must admit yourself to MCC, prior to registering for courses.
- For payment assistance, call 480.461.7400 or contact Cashier Services.
Airfare (estimated cost)
Transportation is by van - no airfare required.
Daily breakfast & lunch included. Dinners are NOT included.
$150 Not needed until you arrive in Mexico! TOTAL Estimated Costs $1,439 (program fee, tuition, transportation and most meals) ADDITIONAL COSTS Textbooks
There are no textbooks required.
Passport cards are acceptable for the Puerto Peñasco program since there is no international air travel. Pricing is $65 for new applicants and $30 for renewals.
(land travel only)
- Be sure to allow at least 14-18 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
- Visit the U.S. Department of State website for current fees and processing times.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited.
Apply early to reserve your place!
- Application Deadline: March 3, 2023
Application cycle now open!
- Complete online application.
- Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications are reviewed & approved on a rolling basis.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
Title Date(s) More Information
A match savings program designed to help individuals save their own money in a special savings account and have their money matched for tuition, textbooks, and some study abroad program expenses with an 8:1 match.
October 31, 2022
- Must have earned income
- Be a resident of Arizona
- Income must be at or below 200% of federal poverty line
- Commit to saving $500 and saving for at least 3 months
- Commit to making $30 deposits twice per month
- Complete a financial wellness workshop and any other program requirements
- Contact: ATO@turnanewleaf.org
Maximum Award: $400
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
- Be accepted into the program you are a applying for a scholarship to
- Pay the program deposit of $150 online, at Cashier Services, or by calling 480.461.7400.
2023 Puerto Peñasco Study Abroad Scholarship
Maximum Award $500
March 3, 2023
If you are a current MCC Honors Program student in good standing, you can apply for up to a $500 study abroad scholarship!
For more information, call 480.461.7143.
Information Sessions & Mandatory Orientation