Contact the Program Director
A valid passport book or card is required to travel to Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. Passport Info Here
Puerto Peñasco is located on the Sea of Cortez (our nearest ocean experience) which has one of the best intertidal expanses in the world! Our destination is a little over 60 miles from the US border which makes the seaside city an easy 3 1/2 hours drive from Phoenix.
May 20-27, 2017
This introduction to Marine Biology, designed for the non-major, will take you to the Sea of Cortez (our nearest ocean experience), which has one of the best intertidal expanses in the world! At low tide, as much as 300 feet of what was once covered by the sea is exposed. Students will study the area between the tides and collect both plant and animal specimens, which will be studied under the microscope. Students will take part in an ongoing scientific survey of intertidal organisms in local habitats.
Depending on the timing of the best tides, the dates of the program may vary from year to year.
Puerto Peñasco Excursions
- Bird-watching while kayaking through the Morua Estuary
- Take part in a bird census of the endangered California least tern and their nesting colony near a local estuary
- Lecture on whales at The Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO)
- Boat trip to Isla de San Jorge (Bird Island) to view, snorkel or possibly scuba dive* with a sea lion colony
- *additional cost for scuba diving
- Guided visit to Trona salt mines
- Group excursions to explore the town of Puerto Peñasco during the evenings.
Courses Offered (1 credit)
Estimated Program Costs
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
Program Fee Due:
March 24, 2017
Tuition: 1 credit
35 days prior to course start date Registration begins in March.
|Airfare (estimated cost)
Transportation is by van - no airfare required.
Daily breakfast & lunch included. Dinners are NOT included.
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$1,095||(program fee, tuition, transportation and most meals)|
There are no textbooks required.
|$135||Please allow up to 6 weeks for processing.|
Puerto Peñasco Program Details
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The daily excursions can include walking, hiking, and climbing on uneven surfaces such as sand, mud, and rock, both in and out of the water. The kayaking adventure requires a moderate level of upper arm and core body strength. Participants will be out in the sun every day.
- Between tides, students will collect specimens from the rocky intertidal area and compare with specimens found in a sandy intertidal area.
- Read detailed cultural information on Mexico provided by CultureGrams™.
- If you are a certified scuba diver, there will be time for diving*. If you are NOT certified, and would like to explore the sport, a divemaster in the area will arrange this experience for an extra fee. Notify the Program Director if you are interested.
- *additional cost for scuba diving
Dates to Remember
Wednesdays: 6-6:45 pm
September 14 & 28, 2016
October 12 & 26, 2016
November 9, 2016
Jan. 25 & Feb. 8, 2017
Room 608 AB in Building 38 (Use Compliance Services entrance at the south side of Bldg 38.)
September 15 & 29, 2016
October 13 & 27, 2016
November 10, 2016
Jan. 26 & Feb. 9, 2017
Enrollment Center EC115A (Building 39)
All Info Sessions located at the Southern & Dobson Campus
Financial Aid Workshops from 2:15-3:15 pm following Thursday Info Sessions.
For information, contact Juan Carlos Sanchez at 480.461.7312.
In order to qualify for Fast Tracking the Dream IDA accounts for the 2017 study abroad programs, you must be enrolled by October 31, 2016
Workshops: Location: AS195 (SD Campus)
Monday, Sept., 26 at 10 am
Monday, Oct. 24 at 2 pm
For information, contact 480.833.9200 x3417.
Friday, February 17, 2017
11:59 pm MST
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
Student must be accepted into a program PRIOR to applying for a scholarship.
Study Abroad Scholarship for Puerto Peñasco
Friday, March 10, 2017
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Complete online application.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Apply early to reserve your place!
Friday, March 24, 2017
Program Fee Deadline: March 24, 2017
Tuition Deadline: Listed in your Student Center
Saturday, April 8, 2017
9 am - 2 pm
You must attend the mandatory study abroad orientation! There may be additional required meetings for your specific program. Contact the Program Director for details.