May 22-29, 2024
Contact the Program Director
This introduction to Marine Biology, designed for the non-major, will take you to the Sea of Cortez (our nearest ocean experience), which has one of the best intertidal expanses in the world! At low tide, as much as 300 feet of what was once covered by the sea is exposed.
Students will visit and learn about different aquatic habitats as well the organisms that live there. They will take part in an ongoing scientific survey of intertidal organisms in local habitats as well as sea lions and local bird populations. In addition to biology, our study abroad also focuses on the effects of the ocean on local culture and business.
Depending on the timing of the best tides, the dates of the program may vary from year to year.
Puerto Peñasco Excursions
- Bird-watching while kayaking through the Morua Estuary
- Take part in a bird census of the endangered California least tern and their nesting colony near a local estuary
- Lecture on whales at The Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO)
- Boat trip to Isla de San Jorge (Bird Island) to view, snorkel or possibly scuba dive with a sea lion colony
- Group excursions to explore the town of Puerto Peñasco during the evenings.
Summer Course You Will Take During Program
- BIO149SV Field Biology: Ecological and Environmental Field Experience (1 credit)
- Instructor: Dr. Alex Cheroske
- Mandatory study abroad orientation on Saturday, April 13, 2024 from 9 am - 2 pm at MCC.
Puerto Peñasco Program Details
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The daily excursions can include walking, hiking, and climbing on uneven surfaces such as sand, mud, and rock, both in and out of the water. The kayaking adventure requires a moderate level of upper arm and core body strength. Participants will be out in the sun every day.
- Between tides, students will collect specimens from the rocky intertidal area and compare with specimens found in a sandy intertidal area.
- Lodging will be at the Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO), a working marine lab and our base of operations. Students will experience an authentic experience of a field researcher at this rustic facility. Participants will be assigned to one of two large dorm rooms where they will sleep within their own sleeping bags atop sleeping mats on the floor together with approximately 4-6 other students.
- If you are a certified scuba diver, there will be time for diving. If you are NOT certified, and would like to explore the sport, a divemaster in the area will arrange this experience for an extra fee. Notify the Program Director, if you are interested.
Did You Know??
- Mexico has the largest population of Spanish speakers in the world.
- To show that something is expensive, Mexicans often make a fist and extend the index finger and thumb to form a C-shaped gesture.
- Mexicans drink more carbonated beverages than any other citizens in the world.
- As many as one hundred indigenous languages are still spoken in parts of Mexico.
- Currency used is the Mexican peso (symbol: $; code: MXN).
- Read more detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Mexico (2023). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Mexico Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
Tuition: 1 credit
|Airfare (estimated cost)
Transportation is by van - no airfare required.
Daily breakfast & lunch included. Dinners are NOT included.
|$150||Not needed until you arrive in Mexico!|
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$1,554||(program fee, tuition, transportation and most meals)|
There are no textbooks required.
|Insurance for Participants 60+ Years of Age||$3.56 per day (minimum 10 days)||The program fee includes secondary insurance for participants ages 18-59. There is an additional insurance charge of $3.56 per day for students 60 years and over.|
Passport cards are acceptable for the Puerto Peñasco program since there is no international air travel. Pricing is $65 for new applicants and $30 for renewals.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited. Apply early to reserve your place!
If program reaches full capacity, you will be put on a waitlist.