Fund your Study Abroad Dream!
MCC Study Abroad Scholarships
Two partial scholarship opportunities are available to students who wish to participate in a MCC sponsored study abroad program. If participating in more than one program, a scholarship application must be completed for EACH program.
1.) MCC International Education Study Abroad Scholarship
- Maximum Award (all programs except Puerto Peñasco): $1,000
- Maximum Award for Puerto Peñasco: $400
- May be used to fund program fees and/or tuition and registration fees.
- Completion of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is optional, but highly recommended. File FAFSA prior to January 12, 2021.
- Applications will be scored on the following criteria:
- Personal Statement of Financial Need: Explain why you need financial assistance and how you plan to pay for college. How you are currently financing your education (e.g. help from family, financial aid, student loans, working part-time or full-time, etc.). What difficulties have you faced in paying for your education?
- Cumulative GPA
- Student Status: Current MCC student, a MCCCD student, an in-state student, or an out-of-state student
- Demonstration of Financial Need: Optional completion of 2020-2021 FAFSA. If you need assistance, visit Enrollment Services or call 1-855-622-2332.
- If you are receiving financial aid from another MCCCD college, please share your FAFSA with MCC (school code 001077) at least two weeks prior to scholarship deadline.
2.) Maricopa Grant Study Abroad Scholarship
- Award limited to tuition and fees (1-6 credits) associated with courses that have a start date prior to June 18, 2021 (Britain program excluded).
- Application for the Maricopa Grant is incorporated into the IE Study Abroad Scholarship application, but REQUIRES completion of 2020-2021 FAFSA.
- If you wish to be considered for a Maricopa Scholarship Grant, your 2020-2021 FAFSA (MCC school code 001077) should completed prior to January 12, 2021. If you are receiving financial aid from another MCCCD college, please share your FAFSA with MCC two weeks prior to scholarship deadline.
- May be awarded in addition to the IE Study Abroad Scholarship.
- Applications will be scored on following criteria:
- Demonstration of Financial Need: Requires completion of the 2020‑2021 FAFSA. If you need assistance, visit Enrollment Services or call 1‑855‑622‑2332.
- Grant is open to ALL students, but focuses on students of under-represented populations participating in MCC's study abroad programs.
BEFORE applying for a scholarship, students must:
- Apply to and be accepted into a MCC study abroad program PRIOR to February 12, 2021.
- Be admitted to Mesa Community College (if not already a current student).
- Students can admit themselves at my.maricopa.edu.
- Make a program fee confirmation deposit of $250 ($150 for Puerto Peñasco) to Cashier Services.
Scholarship Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021 at 11:59 pm (no exceptions)
Search for 2021 IE Study Abroad Scholarship applications by program name.
England/France/Scotland: TBA in October
Nice, France: TBA in October
Ireland: TBA in October
Japan: TBA in October
IE Study Abroad Scholarship awards will be announced via email in early March, 2021.
- Maricopa Grants will be announced after Summer financial aid begins awarding (typically April/May).
- Scholarship awards are disbursed to your student account during the first week of classes along with financial aid.
External Scholarship Resources
AllAbroad.us has resources to help find funding opportunities, information about making study abroad support career development, reasons to study abroad, information to support diversity in study abroad, and information about discrimination abroad.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
The Gilman Scholarship Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, provides awards up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Review Early Summer & Summer application cycles. MCC study abroad program fees are due in March, so it is recommended that you apply by the Early Summer deadline (1st Tuesday in October) in order to secure funds prior to program fee deadline. Also, if you don't receive an Early Summer award, you can strengthen your essay and resubmit for a Summer award!
- Applications are reviewed holistically, with consideration of the following selection criteria. View Gilman Presentation here!
- Review Gilman Statement of Purpose Writing Tips.
- Review Gilman Follow-on Service Project Writing Tips.
- Watch videos of Gilman scholars abroad, alumni interviews, and tips from advisors and application reviewers on YouTube.
- For essay writing tips, feel free to contact Jenna Parker, Gilman Alumni Ambassador (studied abroad in South Korea 2014), at JennaLParker4@gmail.com.
Previous Scholarship Awardees
- Click to see the list
The International Education Office congratulates the following MCCCD students who were selected to receive this prestigious scholarship:
2014 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
Angelica Deliz (MCC), Lance Mcgraw (CGCC), Lynette Mcgraw (MCC), Donald Meeks (SCC), and Xiomara Wilbirt (SMCC)
2015 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
- MCC - Janasia Spears - participated in MCC Britain program
- MCC - Johnathon Allsopp - participated in MCC Britain program
- MCC - Nicole Brown - participated in MCC Ireland program
- SCC - Alaina Daum - participated in MCC Ireland program
- PC - Araceli Villezcas - participated in MCC Belgium program
2017 Gilman Scholarship Awardee
- MCC - Jesse Roman - participated in MCC Belgium program
2018 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
- MCC - Faith Garland - participated in MCC Britain program
SCC - Kelli Barr - participated in MCC Ireland program
2019 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
MCC -Varinia Varela (Early Summer) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
MCC - Terry Deese (Summer) - participating in MCC Costa Rica study abroad program
GCC - Desiree Fortier (Summer) - participating in MCC Ireland study abroad program
MCC - Caitlin Gerwig (Summer) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
2020 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
- MCC - Raeana Landeros (Early Summer cycle) - participating in MCC England/France/Scotland study abroad program
- GCC - Mariah Mayfield (Early Summer cycle) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
- GCC - Luz Rosas (Early Summer cycle) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
- GWCC - Ci'Mone Rogers (Early Summer cycle) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
- SMCC - Dwight Jackson (Early Summer cycle) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
Gilman-McCain Scholarship Award
A congressionally funded initiative of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State and named after the late senator John S. McCain from Arizona.
The Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs.
Sponsored by the U. S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration, you can search for more than 7,000 scholarships fellowships, loans, and other financial aid opportunities!
College Board's Scholarship Search
Find scholarships, other financial aid and internships from more than 2,200 programs, totaling nearly $6 billion.
CollegeNet Scholarship Database
Search CollegeNet's $1.6 billion scholarship database.
Diversity Abroad Overseas Ambassador Scholarship
Apply for a $500 scholarship opportunity with Diversity Abroad! Economically disadvantaged students, first-generation, students with disabilities and ethnic and racially diverse students are strongly encouraged to apply. Opens in February for Summer term. Deadline: June 1
Search for scholarships with Fastweb's free scholarship matching service.
Fund for Education Abroad General Scholarship
Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as undergraduates in US universities/colleges who plan to study abroad for at least four weeks. Fund for Education Abroad awards gives preference to students with demonstrated financial need, and strongly encourages students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad. These groups include, but are not limited to:
- First-generation college students
- Minority students
- Community college students
Application cycle opens in November. Deadline: January 2021 (exact dates TBA)
2019 Fund for Education Abroad Rainbow Scholarship
- $1,473 - PC - Reynaldo Bujan - participating in MCC Britain study abroad program
Gates Millennium Scholarships
Scholarships funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for Pell Grant-eligible African-American, Hispanic-American, American-Indian, Alaskan-Native, or Asian-Pacific Islander-American students.
Global Ties Arizona Study Abroad Scholarship
For students interested in international relations, diplomacy, international trade or any area of international business, Global Ties offers a $2,000 scholarship opportunity. Deadline: TBA
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
As the nation’s largest provider of college financial aid to Latino students, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund offers a diverse range of scholarship programs.
IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding
This Institute of International Education directory features detailed descriptions of 100's of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for US students and professionals.
International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search
IEFA is the premier resource for financial aid, college scholarship and grant information for US and international students wishing to study abroad.
Keep Your Chin Up Scholarship Fund
The GK Legacy Foundation Keep Your Chin Up Scholarship Fund is open to Arizona residents age 25 years or older who are interested in attending college, or any accredited vocational or technical program that will improve their workforce skills. There are two scholarship cycles in February and September of each year. The next cycle opens February 1, 2020. Scholarships range from $500-$5,000.
Study Abroad Ireland - Maximum Award: $800
- Must be enrolled in either a Philosophy or Religious Studies course while participating in the 2021 MCC Study Abroad Ireland program.
- Currently enrolled full-time at Mesa Community College for Spring 2021
- Must have completed one (1) course (3 credits) in either Philosophy or Religious Studies at Mesa Community College at time of application.
- Minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA
- Must be able to demonstrate financial need by completing the 2020–2021 Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) form at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Maricopa County Community College (Publicly Funded) District (MCCCD) Scholarships
Maricopa Community Colleges Foundation Scholarships
Hundreds of Scholarships. One Application!
The Foundation has two main scholarship cycles in March and September of each year. Current cycle dates are as follows:
- Spring 2021 Application Cycle: September 1, 2020 – October 16, 2020
- Fall 2021 Application Cycle: March 1, 2021 – April 30, 2021
MCC Honors Program Study Abroad Scholarship
The MCC Honors Department has a scholarship opportunity for MCC Honor students who may be participating in one of the study abroad programs. Applications are due by February 12, 2021 to the Honors Office. For more information, please visit the MCC Honors website or call 480.461.7143.
Find out if scholarships are available from your employer or your parents' employer. Also for some assistance from civic and/or religious organizations that you or your family members participate in.
Phoenix College Gregory M. Adams Study Abroad Scholarship
Phoenix College students may apply for the Gregory Adams Study Abroad Scholarship via the Maricopa Community College Foundation application at: https://mcccdf.academicworks.com/
Search for free grants and scholarships.
Scholarships & Grants for Black Students | MoneyGeek.com
Scholarships & Grants for Hispanic Students | MoneyGeek.com
Scholarship Search | MoneyGeek.com
Scholarship Resources at StudyAbroad.com
Search for a variety of merit-based, student-specific, destination-specific, program-specific, and subject-specific study abroad scholarships.
SoftOrbits $1,000 Scholarship
Write a study about the digital photography industry. You may write about unusual photos in your collection, how you managed to take them, describe the editing process, whether you use any programs or prefer the natural look. Send us the examples of your photos and share your photography tips. Write an article so that we could share your experience with our users and you'll get a chance to win $1000.
South Mountain CC International/Intercultural Study Abroad Student Program
Provides financial assistance for South Mountain Community College students in the form of scholarships to support qualified students who wish to participate in a Maricopa Community Colleges District (MCCD) Study Abroad Program. Deadline: TBA
For more information, contact Steven Fountaine at SMCC in Room LA322, at 602.305.5648, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should be:
- Willing to be an advocate for meaningful travel, international education, and equal access to these opportunities for fellow students
- Creative in demonstrating how you advocate for meaningful travel and international education
- Able to answer the question: “Why is it important for students to participate in international education programs
- Scholarship Application Deadline: TBA
The National Data Base Scholarships
Search for 10 billion in scholarships!
Tuition Funding Sources (TFS)
Tuition Funding Sources is a website with a large scholarship database designed to help students find scholarships, college, and career information.
United Negro College Fund
Many of the UNCF scholarships require that the scholarship recipient apply for Federal Student Aid, it is recommended that applicants complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Get in-depth information on federal student aid programs and applying for financial aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Veterans United Foundations Scholarship
Veteran's United Foundation assists military service members and their families by awarding up to twenty $2,000 scholarships to help pay for tuition and books each semester.
Search for 200 scholarships and grant opportunities to make your dream of volunteering or studying abroad come true!