Fund your Study Abroad Dream!
MCC Study Abroad Scholarships
Two partial scholarship opportunities are available to students who wish to participate in a MCC sponsored study abroad program. If participating in more than one program, a scholarship application must be completed for EACH program.
1.) MCC International Education Study Abroad Scholarship
- Maximum Award (all programs except Puerto Peñasco): $1,000
- Maximum Award for Puerto Peñasco: $400
- May be used to fund program fees and/or tuition and registration fees.
- Completion of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is optional, but highly recommended. File FAFSA prior to January 14, 2020.
- Applications will be scored on the following criteria:
- Personal Statement of Financial Need: Explain why you need financial assistance and how you plan to pay for college. How you are currently financing your education (e.g. help from family, financial aid, student loans, working part-time or full-time, etc.). What difficulties have you faced in paying for your education?
- Cumulative GPA
- Student Status: Current MCC student, a MCCCD student, an in-state student, or an out-of-state student
- Demonstration of Financial Need: Optional completion of 2019-2020 FAFSA. If you need assistance, visit Enrollment Services or call 1-855-622-2332.
2.) Maricopa Grant Study Abroad Scholarship
- Award limited to tuition and fees (1-6 credits) associated with courses that have a start date prior to June 19, 2020 (Britain program excluded).
- Application for the Maricopa Grant is incorporated into the IE Study Abroad Scholarship application, but REQUIRES completion of 2019-2020 FAFSA.
- If you wish to be considered for a Maricopa Scholarship Grant, your 2019-2020 FAFSA (MCC school code 001077) should completed prior to January 14, 2020.
- May be awarded in addition to the IE Study Abroad Scholarship.
- Applications will be scored on following criteria:
- Demonstration of Financial Need: Requires completion of the 2019‑2020 FAFSA. If you need assistance, visit Enrollment Services or call 1‑855‑622‑2332.
- Grant is open to ALL students, but focuses on students of under-represented populations participating in MCC's study abroad programs.
BEFORE applying for a scholarship, students must:
- Apply to and be accepted into a MCC study abroad program PRIOR to February 14, 2020.
- Be admitted to Mesa Community College (if not already a current student).
- Students can admit themselves at my.maricopa.edu.
- Make a program fee confirmation deposit of $250 ($150 for Puerto Peñasco) to Cashier Services.
Scholarship Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:59 pm (no exceptions)
2020 Study Abroad Scholarship applications
- How to apply for study abroad scholarships.
- Awards will be announced via email in early March, 2020.
- Awards are disbursed to your student account during the first week of classes along with financial aid.
External Scholarship Resources
AllAbroad.us has resources to help find funding opportunities, information about making study abroad support career development, reasons to study abroad, information to support diversity in study abroad, and information about discrimination abroad.
The Gilman Scholarship Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, provides awards up to $5,000 for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
- Review Early Summer & Summer application cycles. MCC study abroad program fees are due in March, so it is recommended that you apply by the Early Summer deadline (1st Tuesday in October) in order to secure funds prior to program fee deadline. Also, if you don't receive an Early Summer award, you can strengthen your essay and resubmit for a Summer award!
- Applications are reviewed holistically, with consideration of the following selection criteria. View Gilman Presentation here!
- Review Gilman Statement of Purpose Writing Tips.
- Review Gilman Follow-on Service Project Writing Tips.
- Watch videos of Gilman scholars abroad, alumni interviews, and tips from advisors and application reviewers on YouTube.
- For essay writing tips, feel free to contact Jenna Parker, Gilman Alumni Ambassador (studied abroad in South Korea 2014), at email@example.com.
2019 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
$3,000 - MCC - Nathan Henry (Early Summer)- participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
$3,000 - MCC -Varinia Varela (Early Summer) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
$2,500 - MCC - Terry Deese (Summer) - participating in MCC Costa Rica study abroad program
$2,000 - GCC - Desiree Fortier (Summer) - participating in MCC Ireland study abroad program
$3,500 - MCC - Caitlin Gerwig (Summer) - participating in MCC Japan study abroad program
Previous Scholarship Awardees
- Click to see the list
The International Education Office congratulates the following MCCCD students who were selected to receive this prestigious scholarship:
2014 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
Angelica Deliz (MCC), Lance Mcgraw (CGCC), Lynette Mcgraw (MCC), Donald Meeks (SCC), and Xiomara Wilbirt (SMCC)
2015 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
- MCC - Janasia Spears - participated in MCC Britain program
- MCC - Johnathon Allsopp - participated in MCC Britain program
- MCC - Nicole Brown - participated in MCC Ireland program
- SCC - Alaina Daum - participated in MCC Ireland program
- PC - Araceli Villezcas - participated in MCC Belgium program
2017 Gilman Scholarship Awardee
- MCC - Jesse Roman - participated in MCC Belgium program
2018 Gilman Scholarship Awardees
- MCC - Faith Garland - participated in MCC Britain program
- SCC - Kelli Barr - participated in MCC Ireland program
Sponsored by the U. S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration, you can search for more than 7,000 scholarships fellowships, loans, and other financial aid opportunities!
College Board's Scholarship Search
Find scholarships, other financial aid and internships from more than 2,200 programs, totaling nearly $6 billion.
CollegeNet Scholarship Database
Search CollegeNet's $1.6 billion scholarship database.
Search for scholarships with Fastweb's free scholarship matching service.
Fund for Education Abroad General Scholarship
Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled as undergraduates in US universities/colleges who plan to study abroad for at least four weeks. Fund for Education Abroad awards gives preference to students with demonstrated financial need, and strongly encourages students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented in education abroad. These groups include, but are not limited to:
- First-generation college students
- Minority students
- Community college students
Application cycle typically opens in November & closes in January.
2019 Fund for Education Abroad Rainbow Scholarship
- $1,473 - PC - Reynaldo Bujan - participating in MCC Britain study abroad program
Gates Millennium Scholarships
Scholarships funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for Pell Grant-eligible African-American, Hispanic-American, American-Indian, Alaskan-Native, or Asian-Pacific Islander-American students.
Global Ties Arizona Study Abroad Scholarship
Global Ties offers a $2,000 scholarship opportunity to any study abroad program offered by a local community college or university.
Go Overseas Study Abroad Scholarship
The Go Overseas Study Abroad scholarship is applicable for any study abroad program.
Hispanic Scholarship Fund
As the nation’s largest provider of college financial aid to Latino students, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund offers a diverse range of scholarship programs.
IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding
This Institute of International Education directory features detailed descriptions of 100's of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, grants, and paid internships for US students and professionals.
International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search
IEFA is the premier resource for financial aid, college scholarship and grant information for US and international students wishing to study abroad.
Study Abroad Ireland - Maximum Award: $800
- Must be enrolled in either a Philosophy or Religious Studies course while participating in the 2020 MCC Study Abroad Ireland program.
- Currently enrolled full-time at Mesa Community College for Spring 2020
- Must have completed one (1) course (3 credits) in either Philosophy or Religious Studies at Mesa Community College at time of application.
- Minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA
- Must be able to demonstrate financial need by completing the 2019–2020 Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) form at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
MCC Honors Program Study Abroad Scholarship
The MCC Honors Department has a scholarship opportunity for MCC Honor students who may be participating in one of the study abroad programs. Applications are due by February 14, 2020 to the Honors Office. For more information, please visit the MCC Honors website or call 480.461.7143.
Find out if scholarships are available from your employer or your parents' employer. Also for some assistance from civic and/or religious organizations that you or your family members participate in.
Search for free grants and scholarships.
Scholarships & Grants for Black Students | MoneyGeek.com
Scholarships & Grants for Hispanic Students | MoneyGeek.com
Scholarship Search | MoneyGeek.com
Scholarship Resources at StudyAbroad.com
Search for a variety of merit-based, student-specific, destination-specific, program-specific, and subject-specific study abroad scholarships.
South Mountain CC International/Intercultural Study Abroad Student Program
Provides financial assistance for South Mountain Community College students in the form of scholarships to support qualified students who wish to participate in a Maricopa Community Colleges District (MCCD) Study Abroad Program. Deadline: TBA
Applicants should be:
- Willing to be an advocate for meaningful travel, international education, and equal access to these opportunities for fellow students
- Creative in demonstrating how you advocate for meaningful travel and international education
- Able to answer the question: “Why is it important for students to participate in international education programs
- Scholarship Application Deadline: TBA
The National Data Base Scholarships
Search for 10 billion in scholarships!
United Negro College Fund
Many of the UNCF scholarships require that the scholarship recipient apply for Federal Student Aid, it is recommended that applicants complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Get in-depth information on federal student aid programs and applying for financial aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Veterans United Foundations Scholarship
Veteran's United Foundation assists military service members and their families by awarding up to twenty $2,000 scholarships to help pay for tuition and books each semester.
This scholarship is open to travelers embarking on all kinds of meaningful trips: no matter where you'd like to go worldwide! The scholarship award can be used for anything related to your travel, including the program fee, airfare, travel insurance, or even spending money while abroad!