June 14-30, 2023
Contact the Program Director
Explore intercultural communication and art history for two weeks in Italy--the heart of the Roman Empire, the cradle of the Renaissance and Baroque, and a global center for art, fashion, food and design! The buildings, piazzas, and museums of Florence, Rome, Lucca, Pisa and Venice* will be your classroom as you experience the rich culture of Italy.
* Venice is an optional day trip with additional cost.
Italy Program Excursions
- Florence* (13 nights): Timed entrances to the following:
- Rome (2 nights)*
- Optional day trip (additional cost estimate: $145 for transportation/gondola ride)
Courses Offered (6 credit program)
- Hybrid classes begin prior to departure (required):
May 16-June 13, 2023
- ARH102: Renaissance through Contemporary Art (3 cr) [H, HU]
- Instructor: Lindsey Pedersen
- COM263: Elements of Intercultural Communication (3 cr) [C, G, SB]
- Instructor: Puvana Ganesan
- Mandatory study abroad orientation on Saturday, April 15, 2023 from 9 am - 2 pm at MCC.
- NOTE: The third-party lodging provider for the Italy program strongly recommends that all participants be vaccinated and boosted.
Italy Program Details
Did You Know??
- The Venice Film Festival was founded in 1932 and is the oldest international film festival in the world.
- Italians refer to one another by their city of origin (Milanese, Roman, Florentine, etc.).
- Italy surrounds two independent nations: San Marino and Vatican City (Holy See).
- In 1986, when McDonald’s opened in Rome, protestors against the fast-food chain stood outside the restaurant and handed out free pasta.
- Currency used is the euro (symbol: €; code: EUR)
- Read more detailed cultural information on Italy provided by CultureGrams™ Italy (2022). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Read detailed cultural information on Vatican City (the world's smallest independent nation) provided by CultureGrams™ Vatican City (2022). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Italy Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
Program Fee Due: March 3, 2023
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance to program
Tuition: 6 credits
|Airfare (estimated cost)||$1,400||
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
|Ground transportation that is not included in program fee||$ 20|
|$ 400||Not needed until you land in Italy!|
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$5,555||(program fee, tuition, airfare and meals)|
|Optional day trip to Venice||$145||Estimated cost for roundtrip transportation and gondola ride|
|Textbooks||N/A||No textbooks required.|
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
1 application for 2 scholarships!
IE Study Abroad Scholarship
Saturday, Feb. 11, 2023
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION