Change of Major from ESL to Academic

Congratulations on finishing your ESL program! You are now ready to pursue an academic degree here at MCC. You can take a look at all the programs that MCC offers here

Please note Applicants may not directly apply to the allied health programs (Dental Hygiene or Nursing). First, international applicants must apply to a general academic program (for example, Associate in Science, Associate in Arts, or Associate in General Studies) and later, must apply to and be accepted into an allied health program.  Acceptance into an allied health program is not guaranteed.

You will also need to take a placement test before applying for an academic major. The placement test will help us in assess what classes are better suited for your academic progress.

How to change your major from ESL to Academic

  1. Gather the necessary documents

    • A new evidence of financial support. Provide an original letter on official bank letterhead showing that the student (if self-supported) or the sponsor has sufficient funds on deposit to cover tuition and living expenses while in the U.S. The evidence of financial support that you submit must also meet certain financial requirements. For more information on the FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS needed please visit this page.

    • You placement test scores. Once you have completed the placement test you will be given a score chart. Keep this paper as you will need to submit it along with your application.

  2. Complete the online application

    Once you have gathered the required documentation log into your ISP . Complete the Change of Major from ESL to Academic Request application.

    A couple of things to keep in mind:

    Please answer all items as accurately as possible, read instructions carefully and submit all the required documentation. Any incorrect information or documentation that is submitted without following the guidelines correctly will result in your application being delayed.

    For “Program of Interest”, please take a look at this list before choosing your major. What your major is depends on your academic goal. You can always change your major in the future.

    Complete all items, if you do not complete all items your request will not be processed. If you have a question regarding an item please email us at

  3. Wait until we contact you

    Once you have submitted everything we will review your application. We will let you know if you are missing something.

    After reviewing your application, at the end of the current semester we will issue a new I-20 with your new major. We will contact you so you can pick up your I-20. Please come to our office to pick up your document.

    We are open:

    Regular Business Hours:
    Mon-Thu: 8 am – 6 pm
    Fri: 10 am – 5 pm
    Closed Sat and Sun

    Extended Business Hours
    (January and August only):

    Mon-Thu: 8 am – 7 pm
    Fri: 8 am – 5 pm
    Closed Sat and Sun

    Summer Semester:
    Mon-Thu: 7 am – 6 pm
    Closed Fri, Sat and Sun

    Time Zone Converter

Once you have received your new I-20 remember to sign it and write the date that you signed it. Please do not leave the country without your I-20. If you need to leave the country we will need to sign your previous I-20. For that make sure you complete the Travel Signature application.