The International Education Office offers a variety of support services for students and scholars. If you need assistance at anytime, please contact the International Education Office at 480-461-7756 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On-Campus Employment Guidelines for F-1 Students
If your I-20 was issued by MCC and you are currently maintaining your F-1 status, you are eligible to work part-time (19.5 hours per week or less) at MCC.
Contact the Academic offices/departments and ask if they have “budget jobs” available. You do not qualify for “Work Study.” The list is to provide you with the potential employment locations on campus. Note that personal visits seem to work more effectively than a phone inquiry.
Ask the following questions:
- Type of work and qualifications needed
- Work hours
- Application process
- Fill out an application form, if any.
- Ask if any additional information is required.
- Apply for a Social Security Number if you do not have one yet.
You must have an on-campus job secured in order to apply for a Social Security Number.
- Bring your I-20 and passport to the International Education Office.
- Pick up a letter of On-Campus Employment Verification. Ask the supervisor of your employment location to sign it and bring it back to IE.
- Visit the Social Security Administration Office with the following documents:
- Two forms of photo ID such as your driver’s license and passport
- The letter from International Education
- The letter from your employment location
- Off-Campus Employment Guidelines: Optional Practical Training (OPT)
International Student Career Work Experience (ISCWE)
MCC has a special program to allow F-1 students to work on campus in various departments and IE will pay them for their work. Through our program, in order to maximize the number of students that we have in our program, we will pay for up to 10 hours of work throughout the year. If you would like to apply for our program, please visit the International Education Department in Building NU6 and fill out an application. All applicants must have completed one semester at MCC, and have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Off Campus Work
All F-1 students are eligible to apply for authorization to work off campus once they have been in the USA for 9 consecutive months and have maintained their status.