Qualifications to Become a Student

Qualifications to Become a Student MCC's open admission policy means anyone can attend Mesa Community College who:

  • Is a graduate of a high school that is accredited by a regional accrediting association as defined by the United States Office of Education or approved by a State Department of Education or another appropriate state educational agency

  • Has a high school diploma or a certificate of equivalency (GED)

  • Is at least 18 years of age and demonstrates evidence of potential success in the community college

  • Is a transfer student in good standing from another college or university

To become a student at MCC you must go through our new student checklist. This will guide you through all the steps.

Become a Student

Special Types of Admissions

Concurrently Enrolled High School Students

What is a Concurrent student? A Concurrent student is one who, while still enrolled in High School, earns Community College credits. MCC offers high school students the opportunity to get a jump start toward a college education. Students who are home schooled or who are under age 18 who have not graduated from high school and do not have a GED are classified as special admissions.

Learn more at the Concurrent Enrollment website

Dual Enrollment

Dual enrollment is an opportunity for eligible* high school students to earn lower division college credit during regular school hours at their high school. Dual enrollment courses allow students to earn both high school and college credit for the same class. The credit earned may be used to complete an Associate’s degree as well as a Bachelor’s degree at a transfer university (depending on the receiving institution’s requirements).

Learn more at the Dual Enrollment website.

International Students

New students - please click on Future F1 International Students. -- You are a NEW student if you have never studied in the United States.

Please follow the Transfer F1 Student instructions if you:

  • Entered the United States with an F-1 student visa.
  • Have been attending school in the United States.
  • Have maintained your legal status as an F-1 visa student.

We welcome your application as an International Student. Our admission requirements conform to the regulations of the U.S. Government for issuing F-1 student visa documents. Find more complete information on the International Education website.

Selective Admit

Admission to the college does not guarantee enrollment in any specific course or program. Selective admission programs have a limited number of openings each year and have specific entry-level admissions requirements that must be met before selection for admission to the program. Admissions to each of the selective admission programs may be highly competitive.

For specific program information, up-to-date selection criteria, and application, deadlines and procedures, please review:

Western Undergraduate Exchange

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program is a student exchange program coordinated by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE), and administered by the Arizona Board of Regents. Through WUE, students who reside in western states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming) and meet the eligibility requirements, pay 150 percent of the regular resident tuition plus fees.

Students must select wanting WUE status on the admissions application in order to be considered for the reduced tuition rate. In addition, MCC requires the student to submit a WUE Classification Request Form to Admissions & Records prior to the official starting date of the students' first semester of enrollment at MCC. Students may not apply as out-of-state students and expect to receive the WUE tuition rate after admitted. Once admitted as WUE students, students may not petition for in-state residency.

See the Tuition Schedule and the Special Fees sections for more information.