FSC102: Fire Department Operations (11 Credits)
FSC 102 covers fire fighting skills, equipment, administrative policies, fire department operations and personnel policies that meet the standard for NFPA 1001. Upon successful completion of the course curriculum, exams, and practical skills assessments, the student may apply for a college Certificate of Completion in Fire Operations. The Certificate of Completion will remain in-line with any future state certification processes outlined by the new certifying organization, Arizona Center for Fire Service Excellence (AZCFSE) and will allow students to apply for a state certificate under the AZCFSEI when one becomes available. The Fire Academy is a 16 week, semester-long course. This course is located at the Mesa Public Safety Training Facility, 3260 North 40th Street, Mesa, AZ 85215. Directions to the Training Facility.
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Prerequisites for FSC102
- Current CPR Certification (Cardiopulmonary/Resuscitation Basic Life Support issued through AHA, ASHI, ARC at the healthcare Provider Level)
- Successful completion of EMT 104 with a grade of "C" or better from an institution within the Maricopa Community College District OR current Arizona State EMT-basic or EMT-paramedic Certification
- FSC 105 Hazardous Materials/First Responder with a grade of "C" or better from an institution within the Maricopa Community College District OR Hazardous Materials/First Responder Certification
- FSC 130 Fitness & Conditioning/CPAT with a passing grade within nine months prior to the first day of class OR current passed CPAT within nine months prior to the first day of class.
The above courses may be transferred from another college or completed at any of the MCCCD colleges.
Students accepted into the Firefighter program will also be required to register for FSC 134 and FSC174 to fulfill the physical and educational fitness requirements of the Fire Academy.
Complete the Fire Operations Registration Form: Fire Operations (Fire Academy) Registration Form
Once you complete and submit the form, the department will review your application to ensure all information submitted is correct and you meet all prerequisites. Once vetted, you will then be contacted and scheduled to attend an informational meeting. Candidates will be notified of their status by the department, and either offered a position in the fire academy or placed into the following class.
- To complete and submit this application, you must be logged in to your given Maricopa Student email account.
- Be aware that you must upload files to this form- Unofficial transcripts, CPR card, etc.
- If you do not receive a confirmation message and copy of your application to your email, your form was not submitted.