UPDATED December 01, 2020
Each year, we ask departments to develop plans, ideas, and budgets for the future, exploring what we will do and what we could do to improve outcomes in each area and better support the college's strategic plan. The FY2021-22 planning and budgeting process will include three sections, noted below. The deadline for departments to submit planning and budget forms is February 12, 2021. We suggest departments try to partition out the work of the plan and meet the suggested deadlines below for each section. Departments should plan accordingly to get any necessary department or supervisor feedback for their plan and budget before submitting on or before Feb 12th.
FY2021-22 Planning Sections
- COVID-19 Response and Opportunities (Suggested Deadline: Dec. 18th)
- Department Goals and Simplified Action Plan (Suggested Deadline: Jan. 29th)
- Budget, Resource Efficiency and Investment Opportunities (Deadline: Feb 12th)
Steps of the planning process are listed below, as well as deadlines and other helpful resources. Please note that this year’s planning cycle is occurring later than usual due to delays related to COVID-19 and budgeting processes. The planning cycle for the 2022-2023 year will kick off in early Fall 2021.
FY2021-22 Department Planning Walkthrough Video
Step 1: Prepare and draft the plan (Due by Feb. 12, 2021)
Access the appropriate department folder in the MCC Annual Department Planning and Budgeting Shared Google Drive. ***Refer to your department plan template in your department's FY2021-22 planning folder for step-by-step instructions on completing the plan!***
TIP: If you don't know how to access a shared Google drive, this guide will help you.
This folder will contain a template for your new FY2021-22 plan, a template for your FY2021-22 budget request, and copies of the prior year planning and budgeting documents. Each department folder contains subfolders for planning years. Department plans and budget requests from last year are contained in the FY2020-21 folder. The templates for the FY2021-22 department plan and budget request spreadsheet are in the FY2021-22 folder. If folders do not exist or are empty, then we found no prior submissions for last year.
If a department is missing from the shared drive, or permissions to access the drive folders are not correct, contact Dennis Mitchell.
During the process of creating a plan, we suggest that department leaders collaborate with department staff to complete the plan. In addition, feedback should be obtained from department managers prior to the Feb 12th deadline. This will allow for college leadership to review the plans and budget requests in a timely manner.
Step 2: Review and Approval (by Feb. 26, 2021)
Department supervisors (Deans, SAVPS, VPs, etc.) will start reviewing plans after Feb, 12th. There is no formal submission process since we are using a shared Google Drive for collaboration. Departments should ensure their plan and budget documents are ready for review in their shared folder on or before Feb. 12th.
Step 3: Leadership Review and Budget Processing (March-April 2020)
College leadership and appropriate groups will review operational plans, budget proposals, and make budget recommendations to the president.
Step 4: Planning never ends!
For the FY2022-23 planning year, we will return to our normal operational planning cycle where departments submit plans in October.
Operational plans, goals and new initiative proposals should align with MCC’s strategic priorities and goals. Although our new strategic plan is still being finalized (crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s), the core elements of the plan are listed below to assist departments with aligning their work to MCC's goals.
- The college has three strategic directions for 2020-2025 (language may change slightly):
- MCC Strategic Direction 1: MCC is an Agent for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- MCC Strategic Direction 2: MCC provides outstanding student experiences and supports through our implementation of Guided Pathways.
- MCC Strategic Direction 3: MCC is a great place to work.
- Strategic Plan goal areas (the goal statements and figures are still being finalized, so these goals are written generically):
- Student success: Close opportunity/equity gaps in student outcomes between different racial groups while increasing overall college completion and course-level success rates.
- Increase student early momentum in their pathways by
- increasing the percentage of students who complete college-level Math & English in their first year
- increasing the percentage of students who meet credit-earning thresholds in their first year (30+ for full-time / 15+ for part-time).
- Increase the diversity of our workforce
- Improve the college climate related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Increase employee morale
- Increase operational effectiveness
MCC Annual Department Planning and Budgeting Shared Google Drive
This is the first year of our transition of conducting annual planning and budgeting work using a college-wide shared Google drive. All department chairs and managers should have access to the shared planning drive. Direct links to department planning folders are provided below. Each department folder contains subfolders for planning years. Department plans and budget requests from last year are contained in the FY2020-21 folder. The templates for the FY2021-22 department plan and budget request spreadsheet are in the FY2021-22 folder. If folders do not exist or are empty, then we found no prior submissions for last year.
MCC Annual Department Planning and Budgeting Shared Drive Folders by Division
- Academic Affairs Departments
- Student Affairs Departments
- Administrative Departments
- Red Mountain
- President's Office Departments
- Spreadsheet with links to all department folders
MCC Tableau Dashboards (for help with goal setting if applicable)
Overview of the Four Disciplines of Execution (for help with creating and implementing wildly important goals)
Supplemental Funding Requests
While a lot of focus is on future year planning, everyone knows that things happen and opportunities emerge every day. There will continue to be a process for requesting one-time funds from the college in situations where budget can't be immediately identified in your VP's division. An electronic form should be ready soon, but in the meanwhile we'll continue to rely on dialogue through your SAVP/VP/EVP to ensure we are meeting the college's needs pending a more formal process.
For questions related to planning, goal setting, or the shared Google Drive, contact Dennis Mitchell in the Office of Institutional Effectiveness
For questions related to budgeting or funding requests, contact the Fiscal Office.