The Thunderbird Data Scholars (TDS) Program is a micro-credential program offered by the MCC Office of Institutional Effectiveness (OIE). OIE piloted the first level of the credential program in AY2021-22 with 23 Maricopa employees completing the Maricopa Data Foundations Course and earning Level 1: Data Apprentice! We are currently planning to roll out the program in AY2022-23, so stay tuned for more information on how to sign up!
The TDS program will have three credentials: data apprentice, data practitioner, and data scholar.
TDS Level 1: Data Apprentice
1. Successfully complete the Maricopa Data Foundations Course
Registration for the Fall 2021 pilot program has ended. Stay tuned for an announcement on future offerings.
TDS Level 2: Data Practitioner
1. Earn the Data Apprentice credential AND
2. Complete an applied research project AND
3. Share results at the annual TDS Conference
We will introduce Level 2 in AY2022-23. Stay tuned for more details!
TDS Level 3: Data Scholar
1. Earn the Data Practitioner credential AND
2. Demonstrate continued data use in work contexts AND
3. Mentor others in data use
Note: process to complete this credential is TBD.
The pilot version of the Maricopa Data Foundations Course, created in collaboration with the District Office of Institutional Effectiveness, is a six-week, self-paced online course.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Understand basic institutional data terms and measures.
- Understand the steps of a continuous, data-informed improvement process.
- Identify appropriate sources of data and institutional points of contact for help with data access or use.
- Articulate a problem or ask an acceptable data question.
- Understand data quality and accuracy.
- Understand and use data displays and representations.
- Assess patterns and trends in data.
- Understand and use institutional data related to inequitable student outcomes, including how to disaggregate data.
- Understand historical and social contexts of racial/ethnic-based inequities in student outcomes.
- Understand the differences between deficit, diversity, and equity mindsets in the approach to using data.
- Why Data? Learning the vital signs of continuous improvement.
- Maricopa Data Basics
- All my Xs (and Ys) – Understanding and Interpreting Data
- Becoming a dashboard wizard with trends and patterns
- Using data with an equity mindset
- Reporting data and course wrap up
Level 1: Data Apprentice (Fall 2021 Pilot)
- Sarah Banner, MCC
- Allie Berkman, MCC
- Joy Bickham, MCC
- Seth Daugherty, MCC
- Mona Elaqad, MCC
- Julie Freeman, MCC
- Charles "Wes" Foster, MCC
- Megan Karns Garvy, MCC
- Leanna Hall, MCC
- Melissa Meadows, MCC
- Maria Salza, MCC
- Allison Sleigh, MCC
- Trevor Smith, MCC
- Stacy Wilson, MCC
- Deborah Baker, MCCCD
- Carol Crane, CG
- Steven Crawford, MCCCD
- Kenneth Creech, CG
- Stephnie Hopple, MCCCD
- James Neuenfeldt, PC
- Julie Stiak, MCCCD
- Marc Surrarrer, PC
- Winona Thirion, MCCCD
For questions, please contact Dennis Mitchell - email@example.com.