The Presidents’ Honors Scholarship covers in-state/in-county tuition up to 15 credit hours (plus the $15 registration fee) for four consecutive semesters (must meet eligibility at the conclusion of each semester), excluding summer sessions. The award does not cover additional class fees, books, private instruction, or music lessons. By applying for the Presidential Scholarship, the student also applies for the Honors Program.
Students accepted into the honors program are required to attend the Honors Orientation (this is in addition to the New Student Orientation). Please sign up at the following link: Honors Orientation sign-up.
- Students submitting the Presidents' Honors Scholarship application must be able to show legal presence in the United States and fall under one of the following four pathways to be eligible for the scholarship.
- In addition, students must also be a resident of Maricopa County. Students must apply to the program within one academic year (two academic semesters) of graduation from high school, completion of their GED, or receipt of the Grand Canyon Diploma.
- Must not have attended another accredited college or university before enrolling in a MCCCD campus (co-enrollment, dual enrollment, and summer session excluded).
Placement Test Score Requirements*
*Beginning March 2018 AccuPlacer Next Generation Reading and Math placement test will be given; test scores subject to change.
The following test scores are required for admittance to the program:
- WritePlacer score of 5 or higher -- AccuPlacer Classic Scores: Reading 74+; Math: Elementary Algebra: 74+ - OR - College Algebra: 32+
- OR the requisite coursework to be prepared for placement in ENG 101, MAT120, or CRE101,
- OR successful completion of ENG 101, MAT 120, or CRE101.
Placement Test Score Requirements
*Beginning March 1, 2018 AccuPlacer Next Generation Reading and Math placement test will be given.
*To be eligible for Honors English you must score a 6+
AccuPlacer Classic: 74+ AccuPlacer Next Generation: 263+**
**Multiple measures considered. Contact Honors Program for scores between 250-263
|Math: Elementary Algebra - OR -||
AccuPlacer Classic: 70+ AccuPlacer Next Generation - Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra & Statistics (QRAS): 263+
|Math: College Algebra||AccuPlacer Classic: 32+ AccuPlacer Next Generation - Advanced Algebra & Functions (AAF): 237+|
Pathways To Receive This Scholarship
1. Completion of a secondary education program in Maricopa County (including NCA-accredited, charter, private, religious high schools), with a final cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA and placement scores as noted above
2. Homeschooled student, with verification from parents and at the time of application, have a final cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA and placement test scores as noted above.
3. General Educational Development (GED) certificate completed within one academic year and placement test scores as noted in above.
4. Grand Canyon Diploma recipient completed within one academic year of application and placement test scores as noted above.
Required Application Materials:
- A signed MCCCD Presidents’ Honors Scholarship Application/Agreement.
- An official final semester high school transcript must be sent via U.S. mail or official college electronic transfer system (e.g. Parchment) to the college Admissions and Records Office of the Maricopa County Community College that you plan to attend. A copy can also be sent
to the college Honors Program Office. It must be impressed and sealed by the high school and show graduation date, and final cumulative grade point average. Please inquire with the college Honors Program for homeschool high school transcript guidelines. (Your scholarship cannot be awarded until your final transcript has been received)
- Attend Mandatory Honors Orientation at the beginning of the first semester.
Retaining the Presidents' Honors Scholarship
For the Presidents' Honors Scholarship to be renewed each semester (up to four consecutive semesters,
excluding summer semesters), the student must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Maintain continuous enrollment as a full-time student for the four consecutive semesters (excluding summers).
- Enroll in and complete at least 12, letter-graded credits (at 100 level or above) each fall and spring semester. (Pass/Fail excluded unless degree specific but must be verified with College Honors Program before enrollment).
- Enroll in and complete with a grade of “C” or higher at least 3 credits of Honors coursework (an Honors Only class is required your first two (2) semesters)/contract each semester.
- Maintain an MCCCD cumulative District Wide GPA of 3.25 or higher, including co-enrollment and dual enrollment grades.
- Complete the two (2) required co-curricular activities each semester while on scholarship.
Probation and Termination
A Presidents' Honors Scholar whose cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits (e.g. dual enrollment), falls below 3.25 but above 3.0 at the end of the first semester could be placed on probation. The student must raise the cumulative Maricopa GPA to at least 3.25 prior to beginning the third semester.
Students will not be eligible for renewal of the scholarship if:
- the cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, is below 3.0 at the end of the first semester,
- they fail to complete their Honors coursework or a sufficient number of credit hours,
- they receive less than a “C” grade in their honors course,
- they do not complete the required two (2) co-curricular activities per semester,
- they do not maintain a cumulative GPA above 3.25 after the first semester.
Honors Program students should not withdraw from courses or alter class schedules without first consulting the College Honors Program.
Refund, drop/add, and withdrawal policies, dates, and deadlines apply to all.
How Scholarship is Disbursed
Presidents' Honors Scholars will have their fee due date on their billing statement deferred until financial aid is awarded. At that time, provided all necessary paperwork is completed and the student is enrolled in an honors course, the scholarship amount will be applied to the student's account. Students must pay any fees over the scholarship amount by the date on the billing statement.
To qualify as an Honors Program Graduate, a student must be eligible to graduate from the college and must meet the additional requirements that include a 3.5 MCCCD cumulative District-wide GPA, completion of 15 credit hours in Honors coursework across three disciplines, and completion of co-curriculars.
Presidents' Honors Scholars who have been admitted to the Honors Program and college may apply for the deferment of their Presidents' Honors Scholarship for the purpose of taking part in activities that would interrupt their required continuous enrollment at the Maricopa Community Colleges. See the Deferment application for more information.
For More Information
For all copies of contracts, applications, and deferment forms go to Forms link on the left hand menu, or links above.
You may submit applications to the Honors Office at either MCC campus, or you may mail applications to the following address:
For more information on the Honors Program use the "Faculty & Staff" link on the left hand menu, as well as the FAQ link.