StudentThere are a variety of ways to supplement the funds you have set aside for your education. Many students will receive some sort of financial aid; some funds do not have to be repaid while others are loans. You’ll find information on the four most common kinds of student aid below.

Student Loans

 A direct student loan is aid that is deferred until you’re out of school. 

Student loans are a form of financial aid that can help you pay for tuition, books, and living expenses while you're in school. MCC offers the following loans:

  • Federal Direct Subsidized loan – a loan for students who have financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Interest is not charged on subsidized loans while you're in school at least half-time.
  • Unsubsidized Direct loans – a loan that is not based on financial need. Interest is charged on the loan.
  • Federal PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) loan – an unsubsidized loan for the parents of dependent students. PLUS loans help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is charged during all periods.
  • Private Education Loan - Private loans are education loans that are not funded by the federal government. They are loans that are borrowed from private lenders (such as banks).  Private loans may be borrowed alone, or as a supplement to your existing federal student aid package has long as your total award amount is lower than your Cost of Attendance.  Unlike federal loans, private loans are subject to credit approval and usually have a higher interest rate.  Students interested in applying for a private loan must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and be registered a minimum of 6 credits.  


 Grants are free aid you do not have to pay back.

Learn more about what grants may be available to you by visiting the links below.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is funded by the federal government.  This funding provides employment opportunities for students with financial eligibility, allowing them to earn money to help finance the cost of their education. 

FWS Eligibility Requirements

Work-study is considered financial aid.  Like all federal financial aid, to be eligible for Federal Work-Study, you must:

  • Have a completed FAFSA application on file with MCC
  • Have unmet financial need
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours 
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress

If you are interested in participating in the FWS program, please visit Enrollment Services at one of our two campuses to see if you are eligible at  Southern and Dobson or Red Mountain. 

Federal Work-Study Is A Real Job

As a work-study job applicant, you are applying for a real job that will teach you valuable work skills. The FWS application process is highly competitive as there are many FWS students and limited FWS jobs on campus. So, prepare for interviews, bring an up-to-date resume, and remember to mention any previous experience and/or skills you may possess.  

If you need assistance with your interview skills, preparing a resume, or finding a campus job please go to Career Services

Student workers can work up to 19.5 hours a week on campus and receive a pay check every two weeks for the hours they've worked.

FWS Frequently Asked Questions 

FWS Student Checklist


 Scholarships are a gift - they do not need to be paid back.

Complete our Scholarship Application or read more about Scholarships here.

  • Academic Excellence
  • Program Awards
  • Demographic Awards