The vision and mission of the Center for Community & Civic Engagement connect to the vision, mission, values, and learning outcomes of Mesa Community College.
Working together to inspire individuals to be engaged citizens.
To promote excellence in teaching and learning through civic engagement programs that:
- cultivate service-learning
- collaborate with the community
- develop co-curricular service projects
- encourage civic and servant leadership
- foster social responsibility
- promote personal growth
Definition of Service-Learning
Service-Learning is a teaching and learning method that connects meaningful community service with academic instruction through guided reflection.
Areas of focus include:
- Career exploration
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Values clarification
- Social and personal development
- Community & civic responsibility
Service-Learning at MCC
We strive to make a difference through the outreach of our students, whether our students are:
- Serving through their class (in-course module)
- Creating their own class to serve (independent module)
- Serving through one of our many community partners (service sites)
We work to ensure that our department makes a difference, even if it is only to one person.