Reflections of Engagement
A book of reflections on the service done by Mesa Community College students and others involved.
A Practical Guide for Integrating Civic Responsibility into the Curriculum-
New online training companion to the 2006 edition of the American Association of Community College's book
Cultivating Communities Beyond the Classroom - written by the AACC to discuss what role service-learning can play in building communities
- AACC Curriculum Tools for Civic Responsibility
- AACC Civic Responsibility Modules- Can be viewed sequentially (a total of 53 minutes) or individually
- Engaged Faculty Institute Curriculum - can be downloaded or to view the curriculum in individual units
- Designing & Delivering a Service-Learning Course
- Undergraduate Journal of Service Learning & Community-Based Research
Multidisciplinary, online journal that invites undergraduates to join the academic conversation on service learning and community-based research.
- Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement
Serve as a peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary journal to advance theory and practice related to all forms of outreach and engagement between higher education institutions and communities.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
The Chronicle Online is published every weekday and is a source of news, information, and jobs for college and university faculty members and administrators.
- Article - "Wanted: High-Character Students" http://chronicle.com/article/Wanted-High-Character/234972
- The Journal for Civic Commitment
Twice-yearly, online journal dedicated to service learning and civic engagementhttp://compact.org/resource-posts/journal-for-civic-commitment-2/
- eJournal of Public Affairs
Develop an online outlet for publishing research, disseminating information related to civic engagement and public affairs, and for connecting faculty, students, and community partners to like-minded professionals working in the civic engagement field.
- Infogagement: Citizenship and Democracy in the Age of Connection
Commentaries from thought leaders across the fields of engagement, journalism, technology, and philanthropy.Infogagement: Citizenship and Democracy in the Age of Connection.
- American Association of Community Colleges:http://www.aacc.nche.edu/
The American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) is the primary advocacy organization for the nation’s community colleges.
- Corporation for National & Community Service:http://www.nationalservice.gov/
A federal agency that helps more than 5 million Americans improve the lives of their fellow citizens through service. Groups include AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, the Social Innovation Fund, the Volunteer Generation Fund, and more.
- Campus Compact: http://compact.org/resource-posts/
Dedicated to advancing the public purpose of colleges and universities by deepening their ability to improve community life and to educate students for civic and social responsibility.
- A Promising Connection Increasing College Access and Success through Civic Engagement
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse:https://community-wealth.org/content/national-service-learning-clearinghouse
The most comprehensive electronic library of service-learning research can be found in the National Service-Learning Clearinghouse.
- SoundOut: https://soundout.org/
Supporting meaningful student involvement and providing tools and free online skill building lessens for different programs.
Arizona Voices: https://www.facebook.com/arizonavoices/
Be the voice of change. Ensure legislative policies reflect the priorities of Arizona citizens
The Democracy Commitment:http://thedemocracycommitment.org/
The Democracy Commitment (TDC) is a national initiative providing a platform for the development and expansion of community college programs, projects, and curricula aimed at engaging students in civic learning and democratic practice across the country. The goal of TDC is that every student of an American community college receives an education in democracy.
- National Conference on Citizenship: http://www.ncoc.org/
Provides research regarding Citizenship and "America's Civic Health Index"
- Value of Volunteer Time: https://www.independentsector.org/volunteer_time
The value of volunteer time is based on the hourly earnings (approximated from yearly values) of all production and non-supervisory workers on private non-farm payrolls average (based on yearly earnings provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics) for the national average. Independent Sector indexes this figure to determine state values and increases it by 12 percent to estimate for fringe benefits.
- 2016 update: U.S. Volunteer Time Worth $188 Billion: http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articles/u-s-volunteer-time-worth-188-billion/
Maricopa & Mesa Engagement
- Mesa Public Schools Service-Learning Video: http://www.edtv99.org/video/14954/
- Mesa Community College Promotes Civic Engagement:
Center for Civic Participation
The Maricopa Community Colleges' Center for Civic Participation (CCP) seeks to enrich public life and public discourse on our Maricopa Community College campuses and in our communities. The Center also serves to promote effective practices that support Maricopa's mission relating to community education and civic responsibility.
- Barbara A. Holland Collection for Service Learning and Community Engagement Collections:http://digitalcommons.unomaha.edu/slce/
The University of Nebraska Omaha’s Criss Library is the largest physical library of service-learning research. This collection features digital derivatives of materials originally collected by the National Service Learning Clearinghouse (NSLC) including: engagement research in higher education, K-12 schools, the community-based organization sector and Tribal Nations.
- Nuts & Bolts. Converted PowerPoint to PDF.
- The Real-World Benefits of Volunteering in College http://www.galaxydigital.com/blog/benefitsofvolunteeringincollege/
June 30, 2016 Blog Post that talks about a TimeBank survey that states" 73% of top employers are more likely to hire a candidate with volunteer experience than someone who has none".
- National Gathering on Service-Learning, May 19, 2016
- University of Alabama's 2017/2018 Service-Learning Magazine
Highlights some of the University of Alabama's service-learning courses
- Purdue University: Volunteering and Psychological Health 2012
Volunteer charactistics, motivations, and benefits