Definition: Civic engagement encompasses actions to promote the quality of life in the community, through both political and non-political processes.
- Inclusiveness - demonstrate an ability to engage respectfully with others in a diverse society
- Application of knowledge - apply the knowledge of one's own study and experiences to active and ethical participating in civic life.
- Demonstration of civic identity and commitment - provide evidence of experience in and reflection on civic engagement activities
- Civic communication - communicate and list to others in order to establish personal and professional relationships to further civic actions
- Engagement in civic action and reflection- demonstrate the ability to deliberate and collaborate on issues and problems to achieve a civic aim.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Student Learning Outcomes committee created the 4 Cs of the college to be consistent with the Vision, Mission, and Values of both the Maricopa County Community College District and Mesa Community College, and reflect the commitment to Individual and Community, Innovation, Integrity, Learning, and Service Excellence:
- Civic Engagement
- Critical Thinking
- Cultural and Global Engagement