- What is the HESI A2?
- HESI A2 Practice Modules
- Time Limits
- Required ID
- Exam Module Description
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How much does the HESI A2 cost?
- When can I take the test?
- When will I get the results?
- Where can I take the test?
- Additional Questions
The Evolve Reach Nursing Admission Assessment Exam (HESI) is a computer based test consisting of seven modules: Math Skills, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge, Learning Style, Personality Style and Critical Thinking.
Current minimum requirements for admission to the Nursing Program are 75% on the Math and 80% composite (average) score on the Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and General Knowledge and Grammar.
Results on Learning Style, Personality Style, and Critical Thinking are helpful to know but will not be used as a part of the admission criteria. The science modules in Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, and Physics will not be administered or used for admission to the Nursing Program.
It is recommended that you complete the HESI A2 test well before you plan to submit your nursing application. In the event that you do not achieve the required score, time for remediation and retesting is available. Remediation will be available online through your Evolve account.
The HESI A2 test can be taken only once every 60 days, and no more than 3 times in a 12-month period of time.
Scores are valid for 2 years.
Math Skills: 50-item exam. Math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, and general math facts that are useful when calculating drug dosages and solutions. When available a calculator will pop-up with in the testing program. Personal calculators are NOT allowed. Scratch paper is provided and will be collected.
As of November 1, 2014 the required scores on the HESI A2 exam:
- English Composite Score of 80% or higher,
- Math Score of 75% or higher.
Further information on HESI A2 testing can be found on the Maricopa Admissions Requirements website.
Composite Score average score of three components listed below
Reading Comprehension: 50-item exam. Reading scenarios that are health related to measure reading comprehension, including: identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences etc.
Vocabulary & General Knowledge: 50-item exam. Basic vocabulary that is often used in health care fields.
Grammar: 50-item exam. Basic grammar including parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, and commonly occurring grammatical errors.
- How can I prepare for the HESI A2?
- The HESI A2 study guide is available for purchase in the bookstore or online at www.us.elsevierhealth.com
- What is the time limit for the HESI A2?
- The HESI A2 must be completed in no more than four (4) hours. The exam must be completed in one testing session. Please arrive early to allow yourself time for payment and test setup.
- Do I have to take the HESI A2 on the computer?
- The Evolve Reach HESI A2 exam is available only on the computer.
- Can I retest if I have not achieved the minimum scores?
- Students may retest after a 60 day waiting period. Scores are valid for two years at any MCCCD campus. Only scores from the most recent exam are accepted.
- Can I use my scores from another school?
- Scores from another school outside the MCCCD campuses must be less than 2 years old and must be sent directly from that school by fax to one of the MCCCD schools. Hand-delivered results will not be accepted.
- Can you accommodate students with disabilities?
- Students request for accommodations should contact Disability Resources & Services. a (DRS) for additional information. They can be contacted at 480-654-7771
The cost of the HESI A2 is $40.00 (subject to change). If you are taking the exam for a program outside of MCCCD there is an additional $20.00 proctoring charge you will need to pay prior to taking the exam.
Check in at the Testing Services at Red Mountain in Mesquite Building, 1st floor Enrollment Services or Southern & Dobson in Building 38 to verify eligibility and make your payment at the Cashier Services. For payment - cash, check, money order, credit or debit cards accepted. Payment for the exam must take place on the same day you take the exam.
Southern & Dobson
Mesquite Building M
Spring & Fall Semesters
Mon-Thurs, 8:30am to 12:30pm
(last test given at noon)
Fri, 10am - 12:00 noon
(last test given at 11:30am)
You must arrive at least half hour (30 minutes) prior to end of testing time for registration and payment. In example, if the end time is at 2 PM, please arrive by 1:30 PM. No HESI A2 tests will be started after that time.
A current Photo ID is required for all testing.
- Effective September 1, 2014: HESI A-2 Testing cost is $40 for the 4 hour exam.
- There is a four hour time limit for the HESI A2.
- Please arrive 30 minutes early to make payment and create a HESI account. Walk-in only, no appointment needed.
- Current photo ID needed.
- Overview for the HESI A2 at MCC
- MCC Testing Services
- HESI A2 Additional Information
- HESI A2 Assessment Locations
- HESI A2 Practice Modules
Results are available immediately. Student’s scores are posted in the Student Information System (SIS) and are kept on file indefinitely. In approximately 7 days, an email will be sent from HESI indicating that results and online content remediation are available in your Evolve account http://evolve.elsevier.com/student.