New Military Students

For the purposes of clarity the term “new military students” are those who have not used VA Education Benefits before at any institution of higher education. If you have attended any other institutions using your VA Education Benefits your process is slightly different as you will not need to complete an application to begin using the benefits. We simply ask that you come into the MCC Veteran Services Office and we will help you to transition your benefits. If you are a new military student please follow the following steps:

  1. Apply for to MCC online or through Enrollment Services directly (Admissions).
    Become a Student.

  2. Take the Academic Tests required for enrolling in classes.
    Go to Placement Testing.

  3. Print Unofficial Transcripts from Prior Institutions and Joint Service Transcripts (Military Transcripts)

    All military students are required to have all transcripts on file with MCC including military service transcripts in order to utilize VA Education Benefits. Meet with your Academic Advisor and provide all transcripts for unofficial review.

    Go to JST Transcript database.

    Your Advisor will complete and sign an Individual Education Completion Plan (IECP) which students will bring to the Veterans Service Office.

  4. Apply for Veteran Education Benefits using WWW.VA.Gov.

    Every military student or dependent must apply for his/her veteran education benefits using VA.Gov. Certificate of Eligibility will arrive in approximately 4 - 6 weeks.

    Click on link to apply:"

  5. Enroll in courses and fill out the Veterans Request for Benefits Form

    This form is required for each semester. It ensures the following:

    • We have all the information needed to certify your enrollment to the VA.

    • Prompt us to send a promissory note (promise to pay) document and place a hold on your account so you are not dropped for non-payment while we're waiting for the VA to pay you and/or the institution.

    • Confirms to us that you understand your responsibilities in maintaining your GI Bill.

  6. Please ensure you are being charged at the IN-STATE tuition rate. VA Education Benefits do not cover Out-Of-State tuition.

  7. Request all transcripts from any training or institutions where you have attended.

    The VA does not require official transcripts. The VA does require students to provide at least un-official transcripts and requires us to evaluate all transcripts. Of course, separate from VA benefits, most students will request all official transcripts be sent to:
    Mesa Community College
    Attention Records Office
    1833 W. Southern Ave. Mesa, AZ 85202

Apply for Benefits in Conjunction with VA Education Benefits:

Documents Needed to Begin Classes:

  • DD-214 (Military Discharge Document - Copy Member 4). This can be used in the meantime showing proof of military service and educational eligibility.

  • DD-2384 (NOBE - Notice of Basic Eligibility) (for Chapter Ch 1606 only)

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) provided by the VA via mail once the application for benefits has been completed. (Usually received between 4-6 weeks after application is submitted.)