For the purposes of clarity the term “new military students” are those who have not used VA Education Benefits before at any institution of higher education. If you have attended any other institutions using your VA Education Benefits your process is slightly different as you will not need to complete an application to begin using the benefits. We simply ask that you come into the MCC Veteran Services Office and we will help you to transition your benefits. If you are a new military student please follow the following steps.
Apply for to MCC online or through Enrollment Services directly (Admissions).
Become a Student.
Take the Academic Tests required for enrolling in classes.
Go to Placement Testing.
Print Unofficial Transcripts from Prior Institutions and Joint Service Transcripts (Military Transcripts)
All military students are required to have all transcripts on file with MCC including military service transcripts in order to utilize VA Education Benefits. Meet with your Academic Advisor and provide all transcripts for unofficial review.
Go to JST Transcript database.
Your Advisor will complete and sign an Individual Education Completion Plan (IECP) which students will bring to the Veterans Service Office.
Steps listed below this point will be discussed in the MCC VSO
- Apply for Veteran Education Benefits using VA's electronic VONApp system
Every military student or dependent must apply for his/her veteran education benefits using VONapp. Certificate of Eligibility will arrive in approximately 6 - 12 weeks.
Go to the VA's electronic VONApp.
- Enroll in courses and fill out the Veterans Request for Benefits Form
This form is required for each semester. This form informs the VA of your upcoming schedule. This form will be provided by the Veterans Service Office along with a step by step instruction sheet. This form is for Chapter 30, 32, 33 (Post 9-11), 35, 1606, 1607 & VRAP.
Please ensure you are being charged at the IN-STATE tuition rate. VA Education Benefits do not cover Out-Of-State tuition.
- Request Deferments
This prevents classes from being dropped before your benefits are received from the VA.
In addition, students will sign their Promissory Note.
- Request all official Transcripts (High School, GED, and/or any accredited colleges) be sent to:
Mesa Community College
Attention Records Office
1833 W. Southern Ave. Mesa, AZ 85202.
Apply for Benefits in Conjunction with VA Education Benefits:
- Determine eligibility for grants and/or loans by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- MCC Federal School Code is: 001077.
Documents Needed to Begin Classes:
- DD-214 (Military Discharge Document - Copy Member 4). This can be used in the meantime showing proof of military service and educational eligibility.
- DD-2384 (NOBE - Notice of Basic Eligibility) (for Chapter Ch 1606 only)
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) provided by the VA via mail once the application for benefits has been completed. (Usually received between 4-6 weeks after application is submitted.)