What is Hoop of Learning?
The Maricopa Hoop of Learning (HOL) Program is a high school to college bridge program specifically tailored to meet the academic and cultural needs of American Indian students.
The Circle of Life
The basic tenets of the program replicate the indigenous Circle of Life philosophy long practiced by all American Indian peoples of the North and South Americas.
The Mesa Community College (MCC) Hoop of Learning Program serves high school students from the Tempe and Mesa Public Schools high school districts.
Interested in Hoop?
Application information is available at your high school.
You may come to visit us at MCC. We are in GC54-B
Contact Hoop of Learning
Laura Schaffer Metcalfe
Director of Early College Programs
Frequently Asked Questions for Hoop of Learning.
Students who participate in this great opportunity benefit from a scholarship that covers the following:
- Related Course Fees
- Workshops and other Activities
Because there is a valued focus on meeting the cultural needs of the high school student, participants benefit from an array of culturally related opportunities including:
- Cultural Courses
- Cultural Workshops
- Field Trips
- Volunteer and Service Learning
- Increase high school retention and high school graduation rates
- Increase American Indian participation and matriculation rates into college
- Create the conditions for retaining American Indian students to reach their higher education goals
- Enhance American Indian culturally relevant curriculum
- Increase diversity on the college campuses
- Strengthen external collaboration by establishing and continuing partnerships with American Indian communities, school districts, and other agencies