- Start of Semester: Register by Tuesday, January 13. Class start date of January 17- May 12
- 14 weeks: Register by Friday, January 27. Class start date of January 30 - May 12
- 10 weeks: Register by Friday, February 24. Class start date of February 27 - May 12
- 8 weeks: Register by Wednesday, March 15. Class start date of March 20 - May 12
FALL 2017 INDEPENDENT SERVICE-LEARNING MODULE REGISTRATION DATES
- Start of Semester: Register by Friday, August 18. Class start date of August 19 - December 15
- 14 weeks: Register by Friday, September 1. Class start date of September 5 - December 15
- 10 weeks: Register by Friday, September 29. Class start date of October 2 - December 15
- 8 weeks: Register by Friday, October 13. Class start date of October 16 - December 15
Definition of Service-Learning
Service-Learning is a teaching and learning method that connects meaningful community service with academic instruction through guided reflection.
Students have the option to register for a stand-alone Service-Learning course. This is an academic credit service-learning class where the faculty advisor builds assignments based on your service-learning experience at the site. There is no lecture period to attend; however, you will receive a letter grade in this class on your transcript.
- Please view an online orientation to understand the Independent Module process.
- Blue Packet – Independent Module paperwork and application
- Students register for 1, 2, or 3 credit hours
- 50 hours of service required per credit hour registered
- Establish learning objectives with faculty
- Keep a reflective journal while serving
- Create a final analytical paper or project that summarizes your learning
The Fall 2016 start and end dates
- Success from day one - Students must be registered prior to the official start date.
- Students may only register for this course in the Center for Community & Civic Engagement. Please do not provide override information so the student can self register nor register the student yourself.
- All classes (regardless of start date) must be completed and graded by December 16, 2016
- Grades cannot be submitted until finals week of the Fall 2016 semester.
- Assist us in tracking student service hours and enable us to provide the student a certificate of completion. As students, complete, please complete and submit the google form by copying and pasting the following link into your browser: http://tinyurl.com/S-LCourseCompletionForm
Reasons Why Students Register for Independent Module Classes
- Students see the value of learning by doing and want to be engaged in a service-learning class
- They want to be mentored by a faculty on a Civic Engagement project
- They want the service experience documented on their transcripts
- They need one credit to become a full-time student
Steps to Register for an Independent Module Course
- Download the application.
- Complete the online orientation on our website
- Visit with an approved faculty advisor in their preferred academic discipline to create learning objectives
- Select a service location from our list of approved agencies on our online service sites database and contact the agency for approval
- Meet with an agency supervisor to establish service objectives (related to the learning objectives) and have them sign the independent module application
- Bring your completed application, with required signatures, to the Center for Community & Civic Engagement to register for the course