Learn more about the Firefighter program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Firefighter Operations provides the opportunity for individuals seeking employment in various firefighting settings to acquire the minimum standard firefighting skills needed in the field.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Firefighter Operations (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Describe the theory of fire behavior, including types of fires, and explain how building construction relates to firefighting operations.
- Identify and describe the types, functions, and maintenance of firefighting apparatus, and demonstrate the appropriate and safe use of each.
- Identify, describe, and explain fire department operations, including equipment, personnel, and administrative policies.
- Demonstrate the use of proper tools, standard operating procedures, and firefighter skills in a variety of firefighting situations and firefighter tasks.
- Describe the physical requirements for performing basic firefighting tasks.
- Apply skills of mental aspects of performance required in physical agility testing and firefighting.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Completion of Program Prerequisites.
Formal application and admission to the program is required.
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|FSC102||Fire Department Operations||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (EMT/FSC104, FSC105, and FSC130), and permission of Instructor. Corequisites: FSC134.||RC||11|
|FSC134||Fitness and Conditioning for Firefighters||RC||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Firefighter Operations (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125935).