The Counseling Department offers a variety of courses to help students address educational, personal, social, and career decisions. Personal Management skills are essential for success in developing and maintaining a career, as well as relationships. The courses are one to three credits.
New Associate in Arts (AA) Degree, Emphasis in Counseling and Applied Psychological Science
MCC now offers an Associate in Arts with Emphasis in Counseling and Applied Psychological Science degree. The new program provides the first two years of a four-year curriculum for students wishing to specialize in counseling and applied psychological science or who are preparing for graduate programs in counseling or related fields. The curriculum includes a foundation in counseling theories, counseling skills, career and lifespan development, ethics and research methods and multicultural competence.
Behavioral Health Certifications
These courses prepare students for several different industry certifications in the behavioral health field. These certifications offer opportunities for professionals already in the field to obtain CEU hours and job advancement training. For students, it is an opportunity to be exposed to the foundational study of human behavior, prepare to assist others as part of a team and add a certification to your resume.
- BHS150 (Introduction to Behavioral Health and Social Services)(H,SB). Students who pass the final exam with 80% or more will be eligible for a 3-year certification in Mental Health First Aid (MHFA).
- BHS155 (Professional Resiliency and Well-Being)(SB). This has been approved by AzPost for 40 hours of continual education and meets the requirements for 40 hours by the AzBBHE. Students who pass the final exam with 80% or more will be eligible to apply for a Professional Resilience and Wellness Technician certification.
- BHS175 (Trauma-Informed Care and Recovery Treatment) (SB). Students enrolled in BHS175 who pass the final exam with 80% or more will be eligible to apply for a Trauma Recovery Specialist certification.
- BHS185 (Cultural Competence in Behavioral Health) (C)
- BHS235 (Emergency Mental Health Crisis Response and Recovery)
- CAP120 (Introduction to Counseling)(SB)
- CAP220 (The Counselor in a Multicultural Society)(C)
- CAP240 (Introduction to Counseling Skills)
- CAP260 (Career and Professional Preparation for the Helping Profession) (L)
- CPD104 (Career and Personal Development)
- CPD150 (Strategies for College Success)
- CPD160 (Introduction to Multiculturalism)
- CPD180 (Human Resilience: Cognitive, Emotional, and Behavioral Applications)(SB). This has been approved by AzPost for 40 hours of continual education and meets the requirements for 40 hours by the AzBBHE. Students who pass the final exam with 80% or more will be eligible as a Certified Resilience Professional.
- FYE101 (Introduction to College, Career and Personal Success)
- FYE103 (Exploration of College, Career and Personal Success)