Language Course Placement
A free placement test for Spanish and French may be taken in the World Languages Lab, room AS 110. (Drivers license required.) For World Languages Lab hours and contact information, please click here.
Placement for all other languages (if taken in high school within the last three years): One year of a high school course is equivalent to one semester at the community college. High school transcripts and department approval are required.
Credit by Examination (CBE)
Students may apply for Departmental Credit By Examination in certain courses by obtaining the appropriate form in the Admissions and Records Office/Office of Student Enrollment Services, paying the required fee, and completing the examination and other requirements of the college.
- CBE is only offered for current languages taught.
- CBE is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges, but is not necessarily transferable to other colleges and universities.
Currently, ASU, NAU and the University of Arizona DO NOT accept CBE from other schools. Please check with an advisor at your intended transfer school before completing CBE at MCC.
- Only grades of A, B, C, D, or P earned as a result of this examination will be recorded on your transcript.
When credit is granted, the grade and number of credits will appear on your record under transfer credit. These credits are not used in computing the grade point average.
- The cost for CBE is currently $85.00 per credit hour.
(These fees are not refundable after an exam has been administered, regardless of results).
- A maximum of four semester courses can be completed through CBE
- A lower level course may be tested while enrolled in a higher level course, as long as it is done prior to completion of the higher level course.
We recommend completion of all credit by exams at least two weeks before campus finals begin.
Students may not request:
- To challenge a course a second time;
- To challenge a course while currently enrolled in the course;
- To establish credit for a previously completed course;
- To establish credit for a lower level course in which credit has been received.
Click here for fee schedule and more information.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Credit earned through CLEP examination for French, German, and Spanish meets the language proficiency requirements of the Maricopa Community Colleges.