The Dental Hygiene Program strives to:
- Prepare students to provide comprehensive, evidence based and patient centered care.
- Empower students in professional development to serve their community.
- Provide a safe environment for students to explore and develop their inner landscape.
- Develop leadership skills to prepare students to be change agents in their practice and profession.
Admissions criteria and prerequisite courses are subject to change without notice. All waivers must be submitted to the MCC Office of Admissions.
Candidates for admission to the Dental Hygiene Program must meet the following criteria:
PLEASE MAKE A NOTE
- There is now a 5 year time limit on completing required science courses.
- Students that have completed MAT 102 with the MCCCD have fulfilled the math requirement for acceptance into the dental hygiene program. MAT 102 is being replaced with MAT 112 as of fall 2015.
- Possess a High School diploma or GED
- Minimum GPA for General Education prerequisite coursework (CRE101 and HCC courses not included) is 3.25
- Minimum GPA of Science prerequisite coursework in 3.50
- 40 hours of observing a practicing dental hygienist within the last 5 years
- Possess a current Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card
- ENG101 or 107 First-Year Composition 3 credits
- ENG102 or 108 First-Year Composition 3 credits
- COM (100, 110, 225, 230) Communication 3 credits
- HU (To be selected, refer to the MCC catalog for approved list of Humanities, Fine Arts, & Design courses) 3 credits
- PSY101 Intro to Psychology 3 credits
- SOC101 Intro to Sociology 3 credits
- MAT112 Mathematical Concepts and Applications OR Higher level 3 credits
- CRE101 Critical & Evaluative Reading I OR Equivalent by assessment 3 credits
- BIO 201& 202 Human Anatomy & Physiology 8 credits
- BIO 205 Microbiology 4 credits
- CHM138 or 230 Chemistry for Allied Health 3 credits
- CHM138LL or 230LL Chemistry for Allied Health Lab 1 credit
- HCC 109-CPR for Healthcare Provider - .5 credit. (Waived with a current American Heart Association or American Red Cross Healthcare Provider card)
- CPR - Healthcare Provider card (copy of current card required for documentation).
For complete admission information contact an Academic Advisor at our Red Mountain campus. Their office hours are 8:00am - 6:00pm, Monday - Thursday, and 10:00am - 5:00pm on Fridays, except summer when the campus is closed on Fridays. Academic Advisors are available by appointment at 480-654-7600 and on a drop in basis.
Applications are available on the MCCCD Dental Hygiene Program pages here: https://asa.maricopa.edu/ and may be submitted year round.
- Submit the completed Dental Hygiene Application packet in person to Mesa Community College at Red Mountain, Enrollment Services
- Must have current Level 1 Fingerprint clearance card
- All program prerequisites must be completed prior to submitting application.
The above information is subject to change without notice. It is in the applicant's best interest to contact an Academic Advisor for the current information regarding admission to the Dental Hygiene Program.
An estimate of expenses relating to the Dental Hygiene Program is listed on the Estimated Student Expense sheet. Students must purchase Instrument and Supply kits. Additional Dental Hygiene course fees apply.
Download and print the Program Cost
Download and print Dental Hygiene Curriculum
- 20 full time students will be admitted each Fall semester into MCC's 4 semester program. Summer and winter breaks are taken.
- The learning process in Dental Hygiene requires that each student be a patient for another student in the Program.
- Students are responsible for the recruitment of patients for their clinical experiences.
- Students must achieve at minimum of 77% in each course in the Dental Hygiene curriculum in order to continue in the Program.
- Completion of the Program does not guarantee licensure as a dental hygienist.
- The practice of Dental Hygiene requires the repetitive use of the arm and wrist as well as long hours of sitting.
- Information on bloodborne and infectious disease policies is available from the Program Director upon request.
- Admission and continuation in the Program is contingent upon:
- Continuous CPR Healthcare Provider certification
- Continuous Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card validation
- Physical and vision examinations with no evidence of physical or psychiatric conditions which could be hazardous to the safety of self or others
- Up-to-date immunization records, including Hepatitis B vaccination
- Supplemental Background Check
9. For information regarding Mesa Community College's policies on academic integrity,
withdrawal, and refund information, please consult the MCC College Catalog