Admissions criteria and prerequisite courses are subject to change without notice. All waivers must be submitted to the MCC Office of Admissions.
Candidates for admission to the Dental Hygiene Program must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a High School diploma or GED
- Minimum GPA for General Education prerequisite coursework (CRE101 and HCC courses not included) is 3.25
- Minimum GPA of Science prerequisite coursework in 3.50
- Dental experience verification (40 hours of observing a practicing dental hygienist within the last 5 years, a graduate from a CODA accredited Dental Assisting program, or 6 months paid chair side dental assisting in a dental setting)
- Possess a current Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card
- ENG101 or 107 First-Year Composition 3 credits
- ENG102 or 108 First-Year Composition 3 credits
- COM (100, 110, 225, 230) Communication 3 credits
- HU or HUM (Refer to the MCC catalog for approved list of Humanities and Fine Arts courses or see Dental Hygiene advisor for options) 3 credits
- Any PSY+++ meeting the Social Behavioral (SB) designation (see dental hygiene advisor for options) 3 credits
- Any SOC+++ meeting the Social Behavioral (SB) designation (see dental hygiene advisor for options) 3 credits
- MAT112 Mathematical concepts and Applications or higher level (see Dental Hygiene advisor for options) 3 credits
- CRE101 Critical & Evaluative Reading I or Equivalent by assessment 3 credits
BASIC SCIENCES: Minimum GPA 3.5 (Basic Science courses must have been completed within the last 5 years or as determined by the Program Director)
- BIO 201& 202 Human Anatomy & Physiology 8 credits
- BIO 205 Microbiology 4 credits
- *CHM 130+ 130LL Fundamental Chemistry 4 credits
* Students that have completed CHM138 or CHM230 lecture and lab within 5 years of application to program have fulfilled the CHM requirement for acceptance into the dental hygiene program.
Prerequisites for students wishing to participate in the Concurrent Enrollment Program or to complete an AGEC for future university transfer.
|MAT140, 141, or 142||College Mathematics (MAT140, 141 or 142) required for CEP or Baccalaureate Degree.||3 credits|
|MAT206 or PSY230||Elements of Statistics or Elements of Statistics||3 credits|
|COM225||Public Speaking||3 credits|
|MHL155||Survey of American Music||3 credits|
|PHI213||Medical and Bio Ethics||3 credits|
Want to know more about the MCC Dental Hygiene Program? Sign up to attend an information session to learn more about application requirements and program details. Sessions take about 30-45 minutes. Due to the COVID-19 sessions have been postponed indefinitely.
For complete admission information contact an Academic Advisor at our Red Mountain campus. Their office hours are 8:15am - 6:00pm, Monday - Thursday, and 10:15am - 5:00pm on Fridays, except summer when the campus is closed on Fridays. Academic Advisors are available by appointment. Schedule your appointment here: https://www.mesacc.edu/academic-advisement/ask-academic-advisor
Applications are available on the MCCCD Dental Hygiene Program page and may be submitted year round. APPLY NOW
- Submit the completed Dental Hygiene Application packet in person to Mesa Community College at Red Mountain, Enrollment Services
- Must have current Level 1 Fingerprint clearance card
- Dental Experience/Verification Form
- All program prerequisites must be completed prior to submitting application.
The above information is subject to change without notice. It is in the applicant's best interest to contact an Academic Advisor for the current information regarding admission to the Dental Hygiene Program.
- An estimate of expenses relating to the Dental Hygiene Program is listed on the Program Cost sheet. Students are required to purchase instruments and supply kits. These are estimates only.
- Download and print the Program Cost
- Download and print Dental Hygiene Curriculum
- 20 full time students will be admitted each Fall semester into MCC's 4 semester program. Summer and winter breaks are taken.
- The learning process in Dental Hygiene requires that each student be a patient for another student in the Program.
- Students are responsible for the recruitment of patients for their clinical experiences.
- Students must achieve at minimum of 75% in each course in the Dental Hygiene curriculum in order to continue in the Program.
- Completion of the Program does not guarantee licensure as a dental hygienist.
- The practice of Dental Hygiene requires the repetitive use of the arm and wrist as well as long hours of sitting.
- Information on blood borne and infectious disease policies is available from the Program Director upon request.
- Formal acceptance and continuation in the Dental Hygiene Program is contingent upon:
- Valid CPR Healthcare Provider certification (HCC 109-CPR for Healthcare Provider is available as a .5 credit through Maricopa County Community Colleges)
- Continuous Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card validation
- Physical examination with no evidence of physical or psychiatric conditions which could be hazardous to the safety of self or others
- Up-to-date immunization records, including Hepatitis B vaccination
- Supplemental Background Check
- For information regarding Mesa Community College's policies on academic integrity, withdrawal, and refund information, please consult the MCC College Catalog