Learn more about the Nursing program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Nurse Assisting prepares students for employment as a nurse assistant. The program combines classroom instruction with clinical laboratory practice and long-term care and/or acute care experiences. Students who complete the program are eligible to take a written and practical certification examination if desired to meet employment requirements to be a nurse assistant. Certification/licensing requirements are the exclusive responsibility of the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
The MCCCD Nurse Assisting program is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
Waiver of Licensure/Certification Guarantee:
Admission or completion from the MCCCD Nurse Assisting program does not guarantee obtaining a license or certificate to practice as a nurse assistant. Licensure and certification requirements and the subsequent procedures are the exclusive right and responsibility of the Arizona State Board of Nursing. Students must satisfy the requirements of the Nurse Practice Act: Statutes, Rules and Regulations, independently of any college of school requirements for graduation.
Pursuant to A.R.S. §32-1606(B)(17), an applicant for professional or practical nurse license by examination is not eligible for licensure if the applicant has any felony convictions and has not received an absolute discharge from the sentences for all felony convictions. The absolute discharge must be received five or more years before submitting this application. If you cannot prove that the absolute discharge date is five or more years, the Board cannot process your application.
All nurse assistant applicants for certification will be fingerprinted to permit the Department of Public Safety to obtain state and federal criminal history information. All applicants with a positive history are investigated. If there is any question about eligibility for licensure or certification, contact the nursing education consultant at the Arizona State Board of Nursing (602-899-5150).
It is essential that students be able to perform a number of physical activities in the clinical portion of the program. At a minimum, students will be required to lift patients, stand for several hours at a time and perform bending activities. The clinical nursing experience also places students under considerable mental and emotional stress as they undertake responsibilities and duties impacting patients' lives. Students must be able to demonstrate rational and appropriate behavior under stressful conditions. Individuals should give careful consideration to the mental and physical demands of the program prior to making application.
Health and Safety Requirements for MCCCD Nurse Assisting Program:
1. Students must meet and maintain health and safety requirements throughout the program.
2. Admission to a Maricopa County Community College District health program requires that students be in compliance with the MCCCD Supplemental Background Check Policy. Evidence of a current Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card is required for program application.
3. Negative urine drug screen.
Student must obtain a C grade or better in all courses.
University Transfer Students:
For students planning a university program:
Students who are planning to earn the Bachelor of Science in Nursing may obtain their prerequisite courses at Maricopa Community Colleges. For information on courses that meet requirements for admission into a baccalaureate program, please contact a program advisor.
THE NURSE ASSISTING PATHWAY
The nurse assisting pathway is designed to prepare students to complete the Nurse Assistant certification/licensure through the Arizona State Board of Nursing to practice in a health care agency as a nurse assistant. Completion of the Nurse Assistant program of study provides job ready skills as a nurse assistant.
Important information you’ll need when applying for admission:
- Field of Interest
- Health Sciences
- Academic Plan
- Nurse Assisting (CER)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Effective Term
- Fall 2021
- Program Notes
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Safely perform nurse assisting skills to meet the needs of diverse populations.
- Perform therapeutic maintenance and preventative interventions to provide holistic nurse assistant care.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills while fostering mutual respect and shared decision making with patients, families and colleagues.
- Integrate technology to provide safe quality care and improve patient outcomes.
- Manage information confidentially, ethically, and effectively.
- Function effectively in the role and within the scope of the nurse assistant.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Application and acceptance into the program, high school graduate or GED, and meet current health and safety course requirements.
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Part-time status is 11 credit hours or less.
|Nurse Assisting or Advanced Placement: Nurse Assisting||Prerequisites: (A grade of C or better in RDG100, or RDG100LL, or higher RDG reading course, or eligibility for CRE101 as indicated by appropriate reading placement test score, or HESI-A2 exam English Composite score of 75% or higher) AND (a grade of C or better in MAT082, or eligibility for MAT090 or higher as indicated by appropriate math placement test score, or HESI-A2 exam Math score of 75% or higher). Must provide current Level One DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card, meet pass status on MCCD Background Check, and submit required health and safety documentation. or Prerequisites: 1 yr full-time OR 2 yrs part-time employment of direct patient care in past 5 yrs OR successfully completed crswrk that include direct patient care exp. in allied hlth, medicine or nursing in past 5 yrs OR Division Chairperson permission.||Critical course||2–4.5|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Course Area Key
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
This certificate is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Nurse Assisting (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=170573).
Previous Catalog Years
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. All previous catalog years for this pathway map are available at the link below.