Learn more about the Digital Arts program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Digital Arts: Digital Photography prepares students for careers in photography and digital imaging as photo assistants, commercial photographers, portrait and fine art photographers, digital production technicians and photo retoucher. In the program the student develops an understanding of traditional photographic principles, film, cameras, and printing, and learns how to apply these principles using digital cameras, inkjet printers and computer software. Knowledge and skills can be applied to such occupational areas as media production, marketing, graphic production and multimedia. The program is designed for both those seeking to enter a career in digital photography or digital imaging and those already working in the field who wish to advance and update their knowledge and skills.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Digital Arts: Digital Photography (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Use various software applications to create finished artwork, which illustrates understanding of layout, design, typography, and color use in graphics.
- Use basic operational systems, digital image manipulation, and computer operations to produce art electronically.
- Use various imaging properties of software to accomplish texture smoothing, scaling, shading, and tonal manipulation techniques to alter photographic images electronically.
- Prepare and present quality finished photographs demonstrating aesthetic control of exposure, development, and printing techniques.
- Produce photographs that demonstrate principles of composition and design.
- Perform procedures of image manipulation through changes of resolution, mode selection, and image adjustment.
- Describe the process involved in the creation of works of art in one artistic discipline.
- Use computer information systems, computer concepts, computer applications, and advanced digital photography techniques.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|ART100||Introduction to Digital Arts||RC||1|
|ART142||Introduction to Digital Photography||RC||3|
|ART177||Digital Photographic Imaging I||Prerequisites or Corequisites: ART100 or permission of Instructor.||RC||3|
|ART132||Photography II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in ART131 or permission of Instructor.||RC||3|
|ART143||Intermediate Digital Photography||RC||3|
|ART270||Digital Photographic Imaging II||Prerequisites or Corequisites: ADA/ART177.||RC||3|
|ART274||Digital Photographic Imaging III||Prerequisites or Corequisites: ART270.||RC||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Course Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Digital Arts: Digital Photography (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125901).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2020-2021||(Current) 5/26/2020 – 5/24/2021|
|2019-2020||5/28/2019 – 5/25/2020|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|