This scholarship is administered by the Social Science Department
Social Sciences Department Scholarship
A $500 scholarship is now available. In addition, there is a $150 runner up scholarship. The next award will be made in Fall 2017. The deadline to apply is October 20, 2017.
Application requirements are:
- Student must be a current MCC student enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
- Student completed at least 12 credit hours at MCC
- Student's GPA is 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Student must have previously taken at least one Economics, History, or Political Science course at MCC.
John Ohl Articles
The John Ohl Memorial Scholarship
A $1000 memorial scholarship is now available. The next award will be made in Fall of 2017. Deadline for the Fall 2017 award is October 27, 2017.
The Ohl family administers this scholarship.
Applicant requirements are:
- Student’s Fall 2017 enrollment is at least 6 credit hours
- Student’s GPA is 3.0 or above
- Student has completed, or is in the process of completing, at least one History class at MCC
- Student has completed at least 12 credit hours at MCC
- Applicant is pursuing an MCC degree
- Completed application submitted by October 27, 2017.
John Kennedy Ohl
For over 30 years, Dr. John Kennedy Ohl was a mainstay of the MCC History department. All who knew him respected his expansive knowledge and academic excellence. His prodigious work ethic enabled him to author countless articles, essays, book reviews, and three historical biographies. John prized academic excellence and modeled it in his classroom. He received the Faculty Excellence Award in 2004, in recognition of his professional and teaching accomplishments.
Dr. Ohl’s Academic Degrees:
Bachelor of Science in Education from Slippery Rock State College
Magistri Artium from Duquesne University
Master of Science of Library Science
Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Cincinnati