Department Policies

Department Policies

Closed Classes:

In most cases granting an override into a closed class is at the discretion of the class instructor. If the instructor agrees to accept the student into the class and if the maximum of the classroom is not violated then the student may be added to the class. The student must obtain the instructor's signature on the drop/add form and the instructor will obtain an override form signed by the department chair or designee. The Department Chair will handle any issues resulting from an administrative error.

Changes to the Student's Schedule:

As a general policy, changes to a student's schedule will be considered only during the first three weeks of the semester; however, the Math/CSC Department understands there may be situations which would require review on a case by case basis. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain necessary signatures on all required paperwork.

The signatures must be obtained in the following order:

  1. The student must get the signature of the exiting instructor on the drop/add form.

  2. The student must get the signature of the entering instructor on the drop/add form.

  3. The student must get the signature of the Mathematics Chair, the Math Supervisor, or the Math Assistant Chair on the drop/add form.

Lateral Transfers:

A lateral transfer is a transfer from one instructor to another instructor teaching the same course. Lateral transfers are not to be used for perceived incompatibility with an instructor or academic difficulty. In the case of a work schedule change, the student must provide proof in the form of a letter with letterhead from his or her company.

Moving to a lower or higher level math course:

During the first three weeks of the semester a student may be allowed to move to a higher or lower level course if the exiting instructor is willing to sign the drop/add form, if the student is able to find an instructor that will accept him into his or her class, and if the maximum of the classroom will not be violated.

Change of Grade Form

The Change-of-Grade Form must be filled out by the class instructor and then sent to the Math Department Chair for signature. No one else may sign a grade change form.


All prerequisites be completed or in progress before a student is allowed to enroll for a class. If a student is transferring from another school and is unsure in which course to enroll, he or she should make an appointment with an academic advisor or with a math faculty member to discuss the matter.

A prerequisite can be met one of two ways. One - a student may place into a course by scoring sufficiently high on the Math Placement Test. This test must have been taken within two years of the first day the class meets. Two - a student has earned the required grade in the prerequisite course(s) as specified in the MCC Class Schedule. Prerequisite courses must have been completed within two years of the first day the class meets.

Student Grievance Process

A student who feels that he/she has been treated unfairly or unjustly by a faculty member (full-time or part-time) with regard to an academic process such as grading, testing, or assignments, should discuss the issue first with the faculty member involved. This conference should be requested by the student within fifteen (15) working days from the time the student knew or reasonably should have known about the unfair or unjust treatment.

If, within ten (10) working days of the request for the conference with the faculty member, the problem is not resolved or the faculty member has been unable to meet with the student, the student may continue the process by filing a written complaint with the Department/Division Chairperson and appropriate administrative officer at the college/center. This written complaint must be filed within ten (10) working days following the previous deadline. The written complaint will be given to the faculty member five (5) days before any official meetings are convened.

Upon receipt of a written complaint the Department/Division Chairperson or appropriate college administrative officer will work with the parties in an attempt to resolve the conflict. Every attempt will be made to maintain confidentiality during this process.

A faculty member will not be required to respond to a complaint which is not in writing and which, when appropriate, did not have specific documentation including dates, times, materials, etc. The written complaint will be made available to the faculty member.

If the grievance is not resolved at this level within ten (10) working days, the student should forward to the Dean of Instruction or appropriate college/center administrative office, a copy of the original written complaint with an explanation regarding action taken at the prior level. The Dean of Instruction, or appropriate college/center administrative office will meet with the student, faculty member, and Department/Division Chair and attempt to resolve the issues. This level will be the final step in any grievance process regarding grades.

If the grievance, other than those concerning grades, is not resolved by the Dean of Instruction or the appropriate college/center administrative officer, it may be forwarded in writing by the student to the college president for final resolution. The college president or designee will expedite a timely examination of the issues and will issue a final written determination in the grievance process.

High School versus College

Many of our students either come to us right out of high school or have no formal schooling after their high school experience. This can result in a struggle with the many new responsibilities that they encounter at college. Here is a site that outlines some of the basic differences between college and high school and outlines the responsibility of the student.

Math Advisement

Here you will find information on how to select math courses and building your schedule.

Math Help

We offer MCC students free help for their mathematics courses both online and at several different sites around both Red Mountain (RM) campus and Southern & Dobson (SD) campus. While none of these resources are intended to take the place of classroom instruction or your instructor's explanation, many students find that a second or third source of support is occasionally beneficial. Different students often need different types of support so each of the following resources provides help in a different manner. All students (online and face-to-face) are encouraged to use any and all of the resources.

Math Scholarship Application

Here you will find an application for the Math Scholarship to be awarded in the Spring.

Visualizing Calculus using Maple

Visualize calculus concepts using Maple activities. Activities include limits, three dimensional surfaces, and more.

Online Mathematics Course Information

Most courses within the mathematics department at Mesa Community College are available online. You can visit MCC’s class schedule to view these sections.

Before enrolling please visit MCC Online to learn more about our online program and how to get started taking an online class.

The following practices apply to all "On Your Own Time" mathematics courses offered at MCC:

  1. At least 40% of a student’s grade must reflect work (i.e. tests, midterms and/or final exams) completed in a proctored setting.
  2. A student must score an average of at least 60% on this proctored work to earn a passing grade of ‘C’ or higher.
  3. Proctored work may require students to be supervised site and show proper identification.
  4. Online courses may require IN-PERSON proctored assessments or exams that will be administered at MCC at no charge. Outside proctoring services may be used and students are responsible for any additional costs incurred. Contact the Instructor for further details.

For questions on this or other policies specific to a course please visit the instructor’s web site or contact the instructor.