Learn more about the Music Business program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Music Business program is an innovative curriculum designed to prepare students for today's music industry. The certificate and degree with a music business emphasis are designed for both the performing musician and the business student with limited performing experience. This program combines a flexible curriculum with an emphasis in business and marketing, along with music industry related courses and experiences.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Music Business (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Available Online
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Apply procedures to copyright a song, publish it, and select an appropriate performance rights agency.
- Locate and use different levels of music industry professionals including entertainment attorneys, managers, agents, and concert promoters.
- Market musical products in such areas as music arranging/composing, score preparation, recording technology, audio engineering, post production for film and television, and the advertising industry.
- Apply skills for marketing songs, recordings, and musical performances and develop a portfolio of such products for self-promotion.
- Explain the functions of a music business in the areas of entrepreneurship, the digital age, e-commerce, industry leadership, visionary development and the collaboration process.
- Integrate human relations, communication, and technical skills as an intern in an appropriate business or industry.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
Music Composers and Arrangers
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|MUC109||Music Business: Merchandising and the Law||RC||3|
|MUC110||Music Business: Recording and Mass Media||RC||3|
|Music Industry Entrepreneurship or Owning and Operating a Small Business||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (MUC109 and MUC110) or permission of Instructor. or No requisites||RC||3|
|Music Business Internship or Cooperative Education||Prerequisites: Permission of Department or Division. or Prerequisites: Completion of 12 college credits, min 2.6 gpa and obtain a position related to academic or career goals or permission of Instructor. Corequisites: At least 1 class related to major or career interest or with permission of the Instructor.||RC||1|
|MUC293||Self Promotion for Music||RC||1|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Music Business (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125816).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|