Learn more about the Music Industry Studies program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Audio Production Technologies program offers students hands-on study of audio engineering and related media fields. Students learn and apply the concepts and theories associated with music recording, live sound reinforcement, and sound design. The program is designed to give students foundational knowledge and experience essential in the field of audio production. An Associate in Applied Science (AAS) is also available.
Important information you’ll need when applying for admission:
- Field of Interest
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Academic Plan
- Audio Production Technologies (CER)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Program Notes
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
This program replaces: CCL/5686 Sound Design
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamentals of music and sound.
- Apply audio engineering and/or sound design techniques using current industry standard technologies.
- Demonstrate effective written, oral, visual, interpersonal and collaborative skills to build relationships and network with diverse clients, colleagues, and organizations.
- Employ basic computer literacy skills to general and audio-specific applications.
- Demonstrate the initiative and ability to adapt to new technologies.
- Demonstrate effective troubleshooting methods in a variety of contexts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, relevant intellectual property laws, rights management, publishing, licensing, and contracts.
- Critically analyze media for their social, cultural, aesthetic, and historical significance.
- Using a fundamental understanding of scientific inquiry, solve problems within the discipline.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Audio and Video Equipment Technicians
Technical Directors and Managers
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|MTC101||Introduction to Music Theory||Critical course Gateway course||3|
|MTC191||Electronic Music I||3|
|Studio Music Recording I or Studio Music Recording I||3|
Term 2 Term 2
|MUC197||Live Sound Reinforcement I||3|
|MTC192||Electronic Music II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MTC191.||3|
|MUC111||Digital Audio Workstation I (DAW I)||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC195, or MUC195AA, or FMP105, or permission of Instructor.||3|
|MUC196||Studio Music Recording II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC195 or MUC195AA.||3|
|MUC122||Sound Design I||3|
Term 3 Term 3 Term 3
|MUC109||Music Business: Content Creation and Copyright||3|
|MUC194||Audio Mixing Techniques||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC111 and MUC196, or permission of Instructor.||3|
|MUC112||Digital Audio Workstation II (DAW II)||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC111, and (MUC195 or MUC195AA).||3|
|MUC198||Live Sound Reinforcement II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC197.||3|
|MUC222||Sound Design II||Prerequisites: MUC122. Prerequisites or Corequisites: MTC191, or MUC111, or permission of Instructor.||3|
Term 4 Term 4 Term 4
|Music Business: Marketing and Monetization or Recording Studio Business Operations||2–3|
|MUC297AA||Audio Production Internship||Prerequisites: Permission of Department or Division.||1|
|Studio Music Recording III or Live Sound Reinforcement III||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC196 and (MUC111 or permission of Instructor). or No requisites||3|
|MUC292||Sound Design III||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC222, or permission of Instructor.||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Course Area Key
Gateway Course = Generally the first major-specific course in a pathway.
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Audio Production Technologies (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=148245).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2021-2022||(Current) 5/25/2021 – 5/23/2022|
|2020-2021||5/26/2020 – 5/24/2021|
|2019-2020||5/28/2019 – 5/25/2020|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|