In recognition of Career and Technical Education (CTE) MonthTM Mesa Community College (MCC) will host a myriad of events showcasing CTE and science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) careers during the Arizona SciTech Festival in February.
CTE programs provide students a pathway to educational opportunities and the skills needed for lifelong career advancement in STEM areas. These include careers like forensics, manufacturing, health science, business, and computer science. By offering rigorous, relevant CTE programs with content strong in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, MCC is preparing students for the jobs of today and tomorrow.
Following is a listing of the CTE/Arizona SciTech events taking place at MCC. All events are Free.
Feb. 1 and Mar. 1 - MCC Astronomy Night (6-10 pm)
See a Planetarium show and view the night sky through our telescopes. Shows begin at 6 pm and repeat every 30 minutes until 10 pm. Tickets are free and will be handed out at the door on a first-come, first-served basis.
Feb. 27 - MCC Showcase (4-6 pm)
MCC will showcase six different career options. Activities are suitable for middle/high school youth and adults. All workshops will be held at the MCC Southern and Dobson Campus (1833 W. Southern Ave., Mesa, AZ).
- Forensic Science in Action - Learn about forensic photography, collection and preservation of evidence and investigative strategies. (Social/Cultural Science Building, room 23W)
- Join the Physical Science Department for Touring the Universe in the Planetarium and Exploring Robotics. (Physical Science Building)
- High Tech-High Touch – Learn how to check your oxygenation or neuro-status to stay healthy. (Health Wellness Building)
- “Shake, Rattle and Roll” – Learn more about rattlesnakes, native Arizona animals and plants, creepy crawlies under the microscope and DNA technology when you spend time with the Life Science Department. (Life Science Building)
- What Shape is Your Shape In? – Learn how to get in shape and stay healthy with information you will receive on the Metabolic Chart for Aerobic Capacity, the Bod Pod, the Tendo Muscle Analyzer and the Wingate Machine. (Health and Wellness Building, Room 828)
- Social, Mobile, Global – Using Science and Technology in Business and Information Systems – Enjoy learning about the technology skills we use in our daily business lives. (Business Administration Building)
Feb. 28 – MCC Destination Station (5-9 pm)
MCC will host one of the NASA "Destination Station" events. An astronaut who has lived and worked on the International Space Station will talk about their experiences. Planetarium showings will be held prior to the Astronaut presentation at 7 pm and again following the autograph session.
For additional information about these events please visit the MCC Public Events Calendar at www.mesacc.edu/calendars.
About Mesa Community College
Mesa Community College provides outstanding transfer and career and technical programs, workforce development, and life-long learning opportunities to residents of the East Valley area of Phoenix, Arizona. MCC excels in teaching, learning and empowering more than 40,000 students who attend annually to succeed in a local and global community. Mesa Community College is one of ten colleges that comprise the Maricopa County Community College District.
Please direct media inquiries to Angela Askey at email@example.com or Sally Mesarosh at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Office of Institutional Advancement at 480-461-7445. IA website: www.mesacc.edu/ia.