The Maricopa Community Colleges recognize that learning takes place in a variety of situations and circumstances. Many students have significant, demonstrable learning from experiences outside the traditional academic environment. Therefore, prior learning, not life experience, is the basis for the award of college credit.

Students may be awarded no more than 30 credit hours, unless required by a specific program of study, within the Maricopa Community Colleges using one or more of the following assessment methods recommended by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) and the American Council on Education (ACE):

  • Articulated programs
  • Credit by evaluation
  • College-level equivalency examinations

Students must be currently enrolled in a credit course at MCC to apply for assessment of their prior learning. Find more information on Prior Learning Assessment in the College Catalog.

Transfer Credit

Students who have had official transcripts sent directly to the Office of Admissions from regionally accredited institutions of higher education may be granted credit for college level courses in which a "C" (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher grade has been received, but credits accepted in transfer do not necessarily apply to all certificate or degree programs. All transfer credits will be converted to the semester-hour system.

Regionally accredited institutions of higher education are those that are fully accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Middle State Association of College and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and/or the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Credits from institutions with candidate status from one of the above regional accrediting associations will be reviewed for transferability by a college committee.

Credits from foreign institutions will be reviewed for acceptance. It is the student's responsibility to have all such transcripts translated into English and evaluated by an International Student Evaluation Service before submitting them to the college. Here is a list of translation / transcript evaluation providers. MCC does not endorse nor recommend any listed provider. This information is provided for informational purposes only.

College Transcript Evaluation

College Transcript Evaluation

Information about the college transcript evaluation process, where to send transcripts, and a form to request evaluation can be found using the button to the right.