Advance Payment of educational assistance allowance is intended to help students meet school-related and other expenses which are concentrated at the beginning of a term.
When a veteran, serviceperson, reservist, or other eligible person, enrolls at a half-time rate or more, and is either just beginning VA benefits or has had a break in school attendance using VA benefits of 30 days (a calendar month) or more, and is not eligible for an interval payment from VA, he or she may elect in writing to be paid in advance for the first initial month or fraction thereof in which the term will begin plus the amount payable for the following month.
Students choosing this option should be aware that if they receive advance payments, for example, for August(1st day of fall semester until end of month - partial month) and September (full month) at the beginning of a fall term commencing in August, they will not receive another check until their October benefits check in early November.
Advance Payment is available only for Chapters 30, 32, 35 and 1606.
To Receive Advance Pay:
- The school must have agreed to receive and process advance payments.
- The student requests advance pay.
- There’s more than 30 days between terms and break pay won't be paid.
- The student is enrolled at least half-time.
- VA receives the advance payment request at least 30 days but not more than 120 days before the enrollment period.