Contact the Program Directors
A valid passport is required to travel abroad. Passport Info Here
Guanajuato is located in the geographic center of Mexico, about three and half-hours northwest of Mexico City, and its capital city is one of Mexico's most famous tourist spots. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and city planners must abide by strict rules when building and refurbishing buildings in order to maintain their colonial integrity.
Guanajuato's many colorful buildings include historical buildings such as the Alhóndiga de Granaditas; several haciendas-ranches, including the Ex Hacienda de la Barrera; and houses preserved as museums, such as the Diego Rivera Museum, where the famous Mexican artist once lived.
Not offered in 2019
Earn six college credits while immersed in the vibrant culture of Mexico! Based in Guanajuato, this program offers students a culturally enriching experience: the trip itself becomes a lab for the work done in the classroom.
Guanajuato is a small, peaceful colonial-era city with a rich history in central Mexico. It is a university town, a center of tourism, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Once one of the most important mining centers in the New World, the city's historic theaters, beautifully painted houses, plentiful cafes, and friendly residents make it an ideal setting in which to study and visit historical sites that date back to the 1500's.
Did You Know?
- Mexico has the largest population of Spanish speakers in the world.
- Mexico City is one of the world's largest cities.
- Mexicans drink more carbonated beverages than any other citizens in the world.
- As many as one hundred indigenous languages are still spoken in parts of Mexico.
- Read more detailed cultural information on Mexico provided by CultureGrams™
Mexico (2017). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
Guanajuato Cultural Excursions
- Five nights in Mexico City including:
- Spend two nights in Tepoztlán.
- Trace the famous Ruta de la Independencia with stops in Dolores Hidalgo, Atotonilco, & San Miguel de Allende*.
- Immerse yourself in the culture of Mexico by living with a local Mexican family in Guanajuato!
*UNESCO World Heritage Site
Courses Offered (6 transferable credits)
REQUIRED Course Offerings
- Hybrid coursework (online/face-to-face) is required PRIOR to departure to Mexico from May 29-May 31, 2018.
- Online coursework required AFTER return to the U.S. from June 26-June 29, 2018.
- CCS101 16908 Chicano Studies (3 cr) [C, HU]
- Instructor: Dr. Lilian Chavez
- HIS145 16883 History of Mexico (3 cr) [G, H, SB]
- Instructor: Jaime Herrera
Estimated Program Costs
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
|$||Program Fee Due:|
Tuition: 6 credits
Registration for Summer begins in March.
Tuition Due: Upon registration for course.
For payment options, visit: www.maricopa.edu/become-a-student/tuition-paying/payment-options
|Airfare (estimated cost)||$||
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Meals are provided while staying with local host family in Guanajuato.
Meals are NOT included during cultural excursions.
|$||Not needed until you land in Mexico!|
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$||(program fee, tuition, airfare and meals)|
No textbooks required
|Ground Transportation (estimate)||$|
Your passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the date of your return to the USA.
|Be sure to allow at least 6 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
Visit the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for current fees and processing times.
Guanajuato Program Details
- MCC classes will be held at the University of Guanajuato.
- No Spanish speaking skills required to participate in the program.
- Read detailed cultural information on Mexico provided by CultureGrams™.
Dates to Remember
Financial Aid Workshops from 2:15-3:15 pm following Tuesday Info Sessions.
Fast Tracking the Dream to College Completion
Financial Aid Workshops at Red Mountain from 1:15-2:15 pm following Monday Info Sessions.
Fast Tracking the Dream to College Completion
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
Student must be accepted into a program PRIOR to applying for a scholarship.
Study Abroad Scholarship for Guanajuato
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Complete online application.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Apply early to reserve your place!
Program Fee Deadline:
Tuition Deadline: Upon registration for courses
You must attend the mandatory study abroad orientation! There may be additional required meetings for your specific program. Contact the Program Director for details.