Program not offered in 2022 due to COVID-19
Contact the Program Director
Explore art history and photography in Italy--the heart of the Roman Empire, the cradle of Renaissance and Baroque, and a global center for art, fashion, food and design! The buildings, piazzas, and museums of Rome, Florence and Venice will be your classroom and your inspiration as you experience the rich history and culture of Italy.
In Rome, The Eternal City, visit ancient sites where Roman emperors and gladiators made history, encounter stunning Baroque architecture and Michelangelo's Sistine chapel, and experience contemporary Italian culture and cuisine.
In Florence, stroll along the streets where Brunelleschi, Leonardo da Vinci and the Medici created the Renaissance. Immerse yourself in the art of the Uffizi Gallery and soak in the breathtaking Tuscan countryside*.
In Venice, cruise the canals to visit the iconic Basilica of San Marco and the Peggy Guggenheim collection of modern art. Throughout the program, you'll learn the technical and artistic elements of digital photography and photograph the sights that have inspired artists, writers, and thinkers across the centuries.
*Optional visit to Tuscany is an extra cost.
Italy Program Excursions
Courses Offered (6 credit program)
- Hybrid classes begin prior to departure from TBA
- ARH102: Renaissance through Contemporary Art (3 cr) [H, HU]
- Instructor: Lindsey Pedersen
Italy Program Details
18 nights hotel accommodations in quad occupancy shared rooms:
- Rome: 7 nights in Nova Domus Hotel
- Florence: 6 nights in Meridiana Hotel
- Venice: 5 nights in Foresteria Levi Hotel
- Daily buffet breakfasts at the hotel, wireless internet, hotel taxes, service charges, and applicable meal gratuities included.
- Supplement for single accommodations throughout program is $TBA (optional).
- Italy gear list
Did You Know??
- The Venice Film Festival was founded in 1932 and is the oldest international film festival in the world.
- Italians refer to one another by their city of origin (Milanese, Roman, Florentine, etc.).
- Italy surrounds two independent nations: San Marino and Vatican City (Holy See).
- In 1986, when McDonald’s opened in Rome, protestors against the fast-food chain stood outside the restaurant and handed out free pasta.
- Currency used is the Euro.
- Read more detailed cultural information on Italy provided by CultureGrams™ Italy (2021). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Italy Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes lodging, academic facilities, cultural excursions, in-country ground transportation, secondary medical insurance and daily breakfasts
Program Fee Due: TBA
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance to program
Tuition: 6 credits
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $206 per credit hour
- Registration for Summer term begins in March.
- Tuition due dates: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options/payment-plan-schedules-due-dates
- For payment options: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options
- If not a current MCC student, you must admit yourself to MCC, prior to registering for courses.
- For payment assistance, call 480.461.7400 or contact Cashier Services.
Course Fee $ 35 ART142 Airfare (estimated cost) $ TBA
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Ground transportation that is not included in program fee $ TBA
$ TBA Not needed until you land in Italy! TOTAL Estimated Costs $ (program fee, tuition, airfare and meals) ADDITIONAL COSTS Textbooks N/A No textbooks required. Passport
- Be sure to allow at least 14-18 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
- Visit the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for current fees and processing times.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited.
Apply early to reserve your place!
Check back during Fall semester 2022!
- Application Deadline: TBA 2023
- Complete online application.
- Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications are reviewed/approved on a rolling basis.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
Title Date(s) More Information
Deadline: TBA in 2023
11:59 pm MST
Maximum Award: $1,000
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
- Be accepted into the program you are a applying for a scholarship to
- Pay the program deposit of $250 online, at Cashier Services, or by calling 480.461.7400.
2023 Study Abroad Scholarship: link TBA
Information Sessions & Mandatory Orientation