June 3 - July 4, 2022
The program is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology located in the medieval city of Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland. Situated in the heart of Ireland astride the River Shannon, the city is rich in culture and history.
Spend summer school in Ireland and see for yourself why the country is nicknamed the Emerald Island! Students will spend a full month immersing themselves in the study of Irish culture and history while exploring and experiencing the rich and diverse heritage of Ireland!
Using picturesque Athlone, Co. Westmeath as a home base, participants will make field trips to locations such as Dunamase and Emo Court, the megalithic monuments at Loughcrew and Trim Castle, spend several days in Ireland's Cultural Heart, Galway, and take a boat to Clonmacnoise.
- Cliffs of Moher (Ireland's most scenic location)
- Clonmacnoise (6th Century Monastery)
- Dublin City
- Dunamase Castle (Fortress of Strongbow)
- Emo Court (18th Century Palladian Style Manor)
- Galway City - 3 nights in Ireland's Cultural Heart
- Hill of Uisneach (sacred Iron Age site)
- Inis Mor (largest of the Aran Islands)
- Loughcrew (5ooo year old passage tombs)
- Trim Castle (Normal Castle of Hugh de Lacy)
- The Burren National Park (one of the most unique ecosystems in the world)
Courses Offered (6 credits)
- REL250 Religion in Ireland: Neolithic to Early Medieval (3 cr) [HU, H]
- Instructor: Dr. Barry Vaughan
- STO290 The Irish Storytelling Tradition (3 cr) [G]
- Instructor: Liz Warren (Director SMCC Storytelling Institute)
Ireland Program Details
- Study Abroad Ireland is held on the campus of Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT) located in picturesque Athlone, County Westmeath, Ireland.
- Participants will be housed in the Croi Oige Student Village apartments conveniently located across from AIT's campus. Each 4-bedroom apartment is fully furnished and comes equipped with TV, iron and ironing boards, oven, microwave oven, refrigerator, electric kettle, all kitchen utensils, and bedding. Each bedroom comes with a study/computer desk and is internet ready with high speed internet access.
- Modern Athlone is a center of industry and education and home to one of Ireland's major institutes of technology. Because of its central location (between Dublin and Galway) it is a transportation hub by road and rail, and makes access to the rest of Ireland convenient.
Did You Know??
- Ireland is home to Newgrange, an ancient stone-and-earth burial site that is older than Stonehenge or the Egyptian pyramids.
- At least one million people died in five years in Ireland during the great potato famine of the 1840s.
- Ireland did not legalize divorce until 1997.
- Ireland is nicknamed the Emerald Island because of its expansive lush, green fields.
- Currency used is the Euro (sign: €; code: EUR).
- Read more detailed cultural information on Ireland provided by CultureGrams™
Ireland (2021). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
- Diversity Abroad Ireland Destination Guide
Estimated Program Costs & Deadlines
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes lodging, academic facilities, cultural excursions, in-country ground transportation, and secondary medical insurance.
Program Fee Due: Friday, April 1, 2022
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance
Confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline.
Tuition: 6 credits
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $205 per credit hour
- Registration for Summer term begins in March.
- Tuition due dates: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options/payment-plan-schedules-due-dates
- For payment options: www.mesacc.edu/cashier-services/payment-options
- If not a current MCC student, you must admit yourself to MCC, prior to registering for courses.
- For payment assistance, call 480.461.7400 or contact Cashier Services.
Airfare (estimated cost) $1,665
Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
Meals are NOT included in program fee
$1,000 Not needed until you land in Ireland! TOTAL Estimated Costs $5,337 (program fee, tuition, airfare and meals) ADDITIONAL COSTS Possible PCR Tests/Transportation (estimate) $133 Subject to change Textbooks
Dependent upon chosen courses
$50 Prior to start of class Passport
Be sure to allow at least 14-18 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
Visit the U.S. Department of State website for current fees and processing times.
Program Application Deadline
Space is limited.
Apply early to reserve your place!
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 4, 2022
- Complete online application.
- Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Applications are reviewed & approved on a rolling basis.
Scholarships and Funding Your Program
Title Date(s) More Information
An IDA is a match savings program designed to help individuals save their own money in a special savings account and have their money matched for tuition, textbooks, and some study abroad program expenses with an 8:1 match after 6 months.
IRELAND ALLOWABLE MATCHStudent Contribution: $ TBA
Match (after requirements are met): $ TBA
October 31, 2021
- Must have earned income
- Must meet income and net worth requirements (income must be at or below 200% of federal poverty limit; net worth cannot exceed $10,000)
- Agree to save for 6 months
- Complete a financial wellness workshop
480-833-9200 (Ask for an IDA staff member)
1 application for 2 scholarships!
IE Study Abroad Scholarship
- Does NOT require FAFSA
- If you are receiving financial aid from another MCCCD college, please share your FAFSA with MCC (school code 001077) two weeks prior to scholarship deadline.
- Maximum Award: $1,000
- Requires 2021-22 FAFSA
- Maximum Award: Tuition for classes
Deadline: Friday, March 11, 2022
11:59 pm MST
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
PRIOR to applying for a scholarship, student must:
- Be accepted into the program you are a applying for a scholarship to
- Pay the program deposit of $250 online, at Cashier Services, or by calling 480.461.7400.
2022 Study Abroad Ireland Scholarship Application:
Global Ties Arizona Study Abroad Scholarship
For students interested in international relations, diplomacy, international trade or any area of international business, Global Ties offers a scholarship opportunity.
Eligibility (subject to change):
- Demonstrate an interest in any of the following areas: international development, international relations, international trade, international economics, or international business
- Completed at least 12 credit hours of college work
- Maintained a 3.0 or better GPA (transcripts must be submitted)
- Priority will be given to youth representing a minority or disadvantaged group in the community that meet all the qualifications as indicated by Global Ties.
- Letters of recommendation (2 professors/instructors).
- Submit a 1,500 – 2,000 word research essay on the following subject: How can citizen diplomacy lessen conflict among nations?
Up to $500 Award
Friday, March 11, 2022
Submit to Honors Office
If you are a current MCC Honors Program student in good standing, you can apply for up to a $500 study abroad scholarship!
Information Sessions & Mandatory Orientation