Contact the Program Director
Program Website - Study Abroad Nottingham, Britain
Nottingham is in an area of England that knows and celebrates its history while anticipating its future. London: the capital of England and the United Kingdom, is a 21st-century city with history stretching back to Roman times. Edinburgh: Scotland's cosmopolitan capital city borders with miles of lush countryside.
Paris,: France's capital, is a major European city and a global center for art, fashion, gastronomy and culture. Its 19th-century cityscape is crisscrossed by wide boulevards and the River Seine.
June 28-July 31, 2019
Imagine taking Maricopa summer courses while exploring England, France, and Scotland! Your global academic adventure will contrast the historical, artistic, anthropological, and social contexts of these very different countries and cultures.
Spend four weeks exploring the history and modernity-both above and below ground-of some of the world’s greatest cities including London, England, Paris, France, and Edinburgh Scotland.
Based in Nottingham, England, your “home” for a month is associated with the legend of Robin Hood in the Sherwood Forest and the defeat of Richard III, former king of England. Nottingham is a vibrant, walkable city in the East Midlands region of central England where the average temperature in July is 70 degrees!
Did You Know?
- The United Kingdom has no written constitution.
- England helped develop many of the world's favorite sports, including football (soccer), boxing, and tennis; the Scots invented golf in the 1500s.
- Haggis, a Scottish national dish, is made from ground sheep entrails that are mixed with oats and spices, tied in a sheep's stomach, and cooked.
- In 2013, six libraries in the United Kingdom and Ireland began a project to archive every website that has a .uk suffix. The collected material, which could also include comments posted on Facebook and Twitter, is available both to researchers and to the general public.
- Currency used is the Pound (GBP, represented by the sign: "£").
- Read more detailed cultural information on the United Kingdom provided by CultureGrams™.
United kingdom (2017). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
Britain Program Excursions
- 4 days/3 nights in Paris, France*
- Chatsworth House (Home to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire)
- 3 days/2 nights in Edinburgh, Scotland*
Courses Offered (6 credits - choose 2 courses)
- ASB222 18195 Buried Cities & Lost Tribes: Old World (3) [G, H, HU, SB]
- Instructor: Dr. Shereen Lerner
- HIS251 18170 History of England to 1700 (3) [H, HU]
- Instructor: Steven Lurenz
- HUM225 17580 Introduction to Popular Culture (3) [L]
- Instructor: Dr. Mary Aldridge
Britain Program Details
- Our program classes are held at New College Nottingham (NCN), located at the edge of Nottingham's City Centre in the historic Lace Market district, home to over one hundred lace factories during the 19th century. The Adams Building, home of NCN, Nottingham, is one of the city's premier Victorian landmarks.
- Students will be housed in student residential housing at Cleaves Hall in Nottingham within walking distance of New College Nottingham. Housing units include private bedrooms with bed linens, a communal kitchen, laundry facilities, and electronic security.
Estimated Program Costs
Expense Type Estimated Cost Deadline
Includes lodging, academic facilities, cultural excursions, in-country ground transportation, and secondary medical insurance.
$2,675 Program Fee Due: Friday, March 22, 2019
Tuition: 6 credits
In-state: $85 per credit hour
Out-of-state: $205 per credit hour
Registration for Summer term begins in March. Register by March 22, 2019.
Tuition Due: Upon registration for courses
For payment options, visit: www.maricopa.edu/become-a-student/tuition-paying/payment-options
Airfare (estimated cost) $1,279
Group airfare through STA Travel will be available. Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
$150 airfare deposit deadline: March 25, 2019
$1,129 balance due: May 17, 2019
Meals are NOT included in program fee
$1,000 Not needed until you land in Britain! TOTAL Estimated Costs $5,479 (program fee, tuition, airfare and meals) ADDITIONAL COSTS Optional Excursions $ TBA Textbooks N/A No textbooks required! Passport
Your passport must be valid at least 6 months beyond the date of your return to the USA.
Be sure to allow at least 6 weeks of processing time for first time applicants and renewals.
Visit the U.S. Department of State Students Abroad website for current fees and processing times.
Dates to Remember