Contact the Program Director
Program Website - Study Abroad Nottingham, Britain
A valid passport is required to travel abroad. Passport Info Here
Nottingham is in an area of England that knows and celebrates its history while anticipating its future. Once engaged in farming, industry, lace, and candy making, its future lies in its major universities and colleges, world class health care facilities and a stunning amount of new business and housing construction. The people are generous and outgoing with a sense of community pride and accomplishment.
June 29-August 1, 2018
Imagine taking Maricopa summer courses while exploring England, France, and Scotland! Your global academic adventure will contrast the historical, artistic, anthropological, and social contexts of these very different countries and cultures.
Spend four weeks exploring the history and modernity-both above and below ground-of some of the world’s greatest cities including London, England, Paris, France, and Edinburgh Scotland.
Based in Nottingham, England, your “home” for a month is associated with the legend of Robin Hood in the Sherwood Forest and the defeat of Richard III, former king of England. Nottingham is a vibrant, walkable city in the East Midlands region of central England where the average temperature in July is 70 degrees!
Did You Know?
- The United Kingdom has no written constitution.
- England helped develop many of the world's favorite sports, including football (soccer), boxing, and tennis; the Scots invented golf in the 1500s.
- Haggis, a Scottish national dish, is made from ground sheep entrails that are mixed with oats and spices, tied in a sheep's stomach, and cooked.
- In 2013, six libraries in the United Kingdom and Ireland began a project to archive every website that has a .uk suffix. The collected material, which could also include comments posted on Facebook and Twitter, is available both to researchers and to the general public.
- Currency used is the Pound (GBP, represented by the sign: "£").
- Read more detailed cultural information on the United Kingdom provided by CultureGrams™.
United kingdom (2017). CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest.
Britain Program Excursions
- 4 days/3 nights in Paris, France*
- Chatsworth House (Home to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire)
- 3 days/2 nights in Edinburgh, Scotland*
Courses Offered (6 credits - choose 2 courses)
- ART142 17875 Introduction to Digital Photography (3)
- Instructor: Rachel Brace-Stille (SCC faculty)
- ART142 Supply Requirements
- COM263 17879 Elements of Intercultural Communication (3) [C,G, SB]
- Instructor: Dr. Puvana Ganesan
- HUM225 18056 Introduction to Popular Culture (3) [L]
- Instructor: Dr. Mary Aldridge
Britain Program Details
- Our program classes are held at New College Nottingham (NCN), located at the edge of Nottingham's City Centre in the historic Lace Market district, home to over one hundred lace factories during the 19th century. The Adams Building, home of NCN, Nottingham, is one of the city's premier Victorian landmarks.
- Students will be housed in student residential housing at Cleaves Hall in Nottingham within walking distance of New College Nottingham. Housing units include private bedrooms with bed linens, a communal kitchen, laundry facilities, and electronic security.
Estimated Program Costs
|Expense Type||Estimated Cost||Deadline|
|$2,638||Program Fee Due: Friday, March 23, 2018|
Tuition: 6 credits
|Tuition Due: 35 days prior to course start date. Registration begins in March.|
|Airfare (estimated cost)||$1,597||
Group airfare through STA Travel will be available for $1,597. Your program director will provide you with instructions on purchasing airfare for your program. Only after you have received these instructions should you purchase airfare.
$150 airfare deposit deadline: March 23, 2018
Meals are NOT included in program fee
|$1,000||Not needed until you land in Britain!|
|TOTAL Estimated Costs||$5,766||(program fee, tuition, airfare and meals)|
|Optional Excursions||$ TBA|
Dependent upon chosen courses
|$ 100||Prior to start of class|
|$ 135||Please allow up to 6 weeks for processing.|
Dates to Remember
TUESDAYS: 1:30-2:15 pm
February 13, 2018
WEDNESDAYS: 6-6:45 pm
February 14, 2018
Financial Aid Workshops from 2:15-3:15 pm following Tuesday Info Sessions.
Fast Tracking the Dream to College Completion
MONDAYS 12:30-1:15 pm
February 12, 2018
THURSDAYS 1:45-2:30 PM
February 15, 2018
Financial Aid Workshops at Red Mountain from 1:15-2:15 pm following Monday Info Sessions.
Fast Tracking the Dream to College Completion
Friday, February 16, 2018
Maximum Award: $1,000
Get information on financial aid & grants, scholarships, and misc. resources for study abroad here.
Student must be accepted into a program PRIOR to applying for a scholarship.
Study Abroad Scholarship for Britain
Thursday, March 23, 2018
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Complete online application.
Space is limited. Apply early to reserve your place!
Friday, March 23, 2018
Program Fee Deadline: March 23, 2018
Sat., April 7, 2018
9 am - 2 pm
You must attend the mandatory study abroad orientation!