Literacy Scholars is a starting point for MCC students placing into developmental reading. This program is designed to give an intensive skills-based refresher, while also building the knowledge and habits of mind needed to be successful in college.
Want to Apply?
Please visit the Student Success Center (Building 36N).
Request an application for the “Literacy Scholars” program.
Applications will be reviewed & candidates will be contacted.
Literacy Scholars utilizes a progressive program designed to benefit adults by teaching basic aspects of grammar, reading comprehension, and study skills. Course curriculum also includes instruction on how to utilize support programs and resources offered by the college, such as financial aid and career advising.
The Literacy Scholars Program
- One semester, free class tuition and books for students taking the linked RDG081 and RDG 100
- Free Mentoring through Connect4Success program
- Free Tutoring
- Free Success Workshop Instruction to help students with non-academic concerns/challenges
- Embedded mentor/tutor in-classroom environment for additional support
- Depending on need, student bus passes may be available
- Personal introduction to Financial Aid Liaison and Student Success Coordinator via in-class presentations
- End of the year “Recognition Celebration” event