Learn more about the Music Business program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Music Business program is an innovative curriculum designed to prepare students for today's music industry. The certificate and degree with a music business emphasis are designed for both the performing musician and the business student with limited performing experience. This program combines a flexible curriculum with an emphasis in business and marketing, along with music industry related courses and experiences.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Associate Degree
- Academic Plan
- Music Business (AAS)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
- Available Online
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Apply procedures to copyright a song, publish it, and select an appropriate performance rights agency.
- Locate and use different levels of music industry professionals including entertainment attorneys, managers, agents, and concert promoters.
- Market musical products in such areas as music arranging/composing, score preparation, recording technology, audio engineering, postproduction for film and television, and the advertising industry.
- Apply skills for marketing songs, recordings, and musical performances and develop a portfolio of such products for self-promotion.
- Explain the functions of a music business in the areas of entrepreneurship, the digital age, e-commerce, industry leadership, visionary development and the collaboration process.
- Integrate human relations, communication, and technical skills as an intern in an appropriate business or industry.
- Describe the elements of music including rhythm, melody, harmony, timbre and dynamics in the context of the historical study of music.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
Music Composers and Arrangers
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
- Consult with your faculty mentor or academic advisor to determine educational requirements, including possible university transfer options, for your chosen career field.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL||Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097. or Prerequisites: Appropriate writing placement, or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097.||FYC||3|
|MUC109||Music Business: Merchandising and the Law||RC||3|
|Oral Communications||Any approved General Education course in the Oral Communications area||COM||3|
|MHL+++++||Any MHL prefixed course||RE||3|
|MUC110||Music Business: Recording and Mass Media||RC||3|
|College Critical Reading and Critical Thinking or Critical Reading for Business and Industry||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (ENG101 or ENG107) and (RDG095 or RDG100 or RDG111 or RDG112 or RDG113 or an appropriate district placement or permission of Instructor). or Prerequisites: Reading Asset test score, or grade of C or better in RDG100, or permission of Instructor.||Students may test out of the Critical Reading requirement. Contact MCC's testing center for more information.||CR||3|
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL or Technical and Professional Writing||Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in ENG101. or Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in ENG107. or Prerequisites: ENG101 with a grade of C, or better, or permission of Instructor.||FYC||3|
|MUC293||Self Promotion for Music||RC||1|
|Humanities & Fine Arts||Any approved General Education course in the Humanities & Fine Arts area||TCM107 recommended.||HU||3|
|Music Industry Entrepreneurship or Owning and Operating a Small Business||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (MUC109 and MUC110) or permission of Instructor. or No requisites||RC||3|
|Mathematics||Any approved General Education course from Mathematics area||Or higher level course||MA||3|
|Natural Sciences||Any approved General Education course in the Natural Sciences area||NS||4|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||Any approved General Education course in the Social & Behavioral Sciences area||SB||3|
|Music Business Internship or Cooperative Education||Prerequisites: Permission of Department or Division. or Prerequisites: Completion of 12 college credits, min 2.6 gpa and obtain a position related to academic or career goals or permission of Instructor. Corequisites: At least 1 class related to major or career interest or with permission of the Instructor.||RC||1|
Restricted Electives 12 credits
Students must select 12 credits from the approved list of Restricted Elective courses to specialize in Music Production, Disc Jockey Techniques, Songwriting, Performance, Marketing, Business, or Communications. Students must consult with the Music Business Program Director, Music Department Chair or designee to select the Restricted Elective courses recommended for each specialization.
Free Electives 12 credits
|ACC111||Accounting Principles I||FE||3|
|BPC128||Introduction to Desktop Publishing||FE||1|
|CIS131AA||Doing Business on the Internet||FE||1|
|GBS151||Introduction to Business||FE||3|
|GBS233||Business Communication||Prerequisites: ENG101 or ENG107 with grade of "C" or better, or permission of Department or Division.||FE||3|
|MKT110||Marketing and Social Networking||FE||3|
|MKT271||Principles of Marketing||FE||3|
|MTC101||Introduction to Music Theory||FE||3|
|MUC111||Digital Audio Workstation I (DAW I)||Prerequisites: MUC195, or MUP195AA, or TCM/VPT105, or permission of Instructor.||FE||3|
|MUC135||Introduction to Disc Jockey Techniques||FE||3|
|MUC145||Recording Studio Business Operations||FE||2|
|MUC180||Computer Literacy for the Music Business||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC109, or permission of Instructor or Department or Division Chair.||FE||1|
|MUC195||Studio Music Recording I||FE||3|
|MUC195AA||Studio Music Recording I||FE||3|
|MUC210||Advanced Industry Topics: Concert Promotion and Touring||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC109, or permission of Instructor or Department or Division Chair.||FE||3|
|MUC211||Advanced Industry Topics: Artist Management and Development||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MUC109, or permission of Instructor or Department or Division Chair.||FE||3|
|MUC215||Music Industry Seminar: Innovation in Music Technology||FE||1|
|MUC240||Creative Music Production||FE||4|
|MUC241||Business Principles of Music Production||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (MUC109 and MUC110) or permission of Instructor.||FE||3|
|SBS230||Financial and Tax Management for Small Business||FE||2|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Associate in Applied Science in Music Business (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=125817).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|