Learn more about the Geospatial Technologies program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Geospatial Technologies prepares students for entry level positions within the field of Geographic Information Systems. The Geospatial Technologies program will also provide students with the educational foundation necessary for a four-year degree. A Certificate of Completion (CCL) is also available.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Associate Degree
- Academic Plan
- Geospatial Technologies (AAS)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Identify and apply the geospatial core technologies to data collection, storage, and analysis.
- Identify and explain social and ethical responsibilities associated with the use of GIS as it pertains to environmental and population policies.
- Identify and describe the characteristics of the Earth and how it is represented on a map.
- Apply the appropriate representation to environmental and human-related features on a map.
- Apply geographic knowledge and GIS to create high quality digital and paper maps.
- Apply spatial analysis and geoprocessing operations on vector and raster data.
- Demonstrate an understanding of data analysis involved in relational databases.
- Design, develop, and implement a spatial database to support analytical operations.
- Perform data management tasks (creating, querying, editing, joining, and customizing spatial and non-spatial data) as well as perform statistical analysis.
- Apply computer programming concepts of problem solving, data structures, and fundamental algorithms and techniques to spatial data models.
Successful completion of this degree may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this degree. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Postsecondary Geography Teachers
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Consult with your faculty mentor or academic advisor to determine educational requirements, including possible university transfer options, for your chosen career field.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|Intermediate Algebra or Intermediate Algebra or Intermediate Algebra||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in each of the following courses: (MAT055, MAT056, and MAT057), OR a grade of C or better in MAT09+, OR an appropriate district placement. or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in each of the following courses: (MAT055, MAT056, and MAT057), OR a grade of C or better in MAT09+, OR an appropriate district placement. or Prerequisites: A grade of B or better in each of the following courses: (MAT055, MAT056, and MAT057), OR a grade of B or better in MAT09+, OR an appropriate district placement.||Meet General Education Math Requirement||PP||3–5|
|CIS105||Survey of Computer Information Systems||PP||3|
|GIS205||Geographic Information Technologies||RC||3|
|Introduction to Human Geography or Introduction to Physical Geography||RC||3–4|
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL||Prerequisites: Appropriate district placement, or a grade of B or better in ALT100, or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097 or WAC101 OR (Prerequisites: ALT100. Corequisites: ENG100A or ENG101LL or ENG107LL or WAC101). or Prerequisites: Appropriate district placement, or a grade of B or better in ALT100, or a grade of C or better in ENG091 or ESL097 or WAC101 OR (Prerequisites: ALT100. Corequisites: ENG100A or ENG101LL or ENG107LL or WAC101).||FYC||3|
|CSC110||Introduction to Computer Science (Java)||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MAT120 or MAT121 or MAT122.||RC||3|
|Precalculus or College Algebra/Functions or College Algebra/Functions or College Algebra/Functions||Prerequisites: A grade of B or better in MAT12+, OR an appropriate district placement. or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MAT095, or MAT096, or MAT114, or MAT115, or MAT12+, OR an appropriate district placement for MAT15+, OR permission of Department/Division Chair. or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MAT095, or MAT096, or MAT114, or MAT115, or MAT12+, OR an appropriate district placement for MAT15+, OR permission of Department/Division Chair. or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MAT095, or MAT096, or MAT114, or MAT115, or MAT12+, OR an appropriate district placement for MAT15+, OR permission of Department/Division Chair.||PP||3–5|
|GIS211||Geographic Information Science I||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in GIS205 or permission of Instructor.||RC||4|
|Oral Communication||Any approved general education course in the Oral Communication area||COM||3|
|MAT182||Plane Trigonometry||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in MAT15+, OR an appropriate district placement. Corequisites: MAT15+.||PP||3|
|CRE101||College Critical Reading and Critical Thinking||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in [(ENG101 or ENG107) and (RDG095 or RDG100 or RDG100LL or RDG111 or RDG112 or RDG113)] or a grade of B or better in ALT100 or an appropriate district placement or permission of Instructor.||CR||3|
|CSC205AB||Object Oriented Programming and Data Structures||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in CSC110 or permission of Instructor.||RC||4|
|GCU298++ or GPH298++||RC|
|First-Year Composition or First-Year Composition for ESL||Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in ENG101. or Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in ENG107.||FYC||3|
|GIS220||Introduction to ArcPy Scripting||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in GIS211.||RC||3|
|GIS222||Geographic Information Science II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in GIS211 or permission of Instructor.||RC||3|
|MAT220||Calculus with Analytic Geometry I||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (MAT182 and MAT15+), or MAT187, or an appropriate District placement.||RC||5|
|Humanities and Fine Arts||Any approved general education course from the Humanities, Arts and Design area||HUM||3|
|Natural Science||Any approved general education course in the Natural Sciences area||RC||4|
|Social & Behavioral Sciences||Any approved general education course in the Social-Behavioral Sciences area||RC||3|
|GPH+++||Any GPH Physical Geography course not listed under Required Course area||RE||7|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Course Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Associate in Applied Science in Geospatial Technologies (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=151008).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2020-2021||(Current) 5/26/2020 – 5/24/2021|
|2019-2020||5/28/2019 – 5/25/2020|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|