Learn more about the Firefighter program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Fire Officer Leadership program can be used by professional firefighters for promotions and salary advancement within the Fire Services. The program will provide courses for experienced professional firefighters who desire to learn advanced fireground tactics and strategy, building construction, practical incident command, supervisory training of personnel, and human resource management.
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Fire Officer Leadership (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Describe the management of fire personnel as it pertains to their selection, discipline, recruitment, and probation.
- Describe the methods of attacking, controlling and extinguishing various types of fires.
- Describe the rules and responsibilities of the Incident Commander in managing various types of major emergencies.
- Describe methods for managing major emergencies, including fires, hazardous materials incidents, and medical incidents.
- Describe fire science personnel functions, including recruitment and selection, discipline, evaluation, and supervision of fire service personnel.
- Explain the methods of providing for firefighter safety and the reaction of various types of construction to fire and heat.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
Formal application and acceptance into the program or permission of Program Director.
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|FSC202||Supervisory Training For Firefighters||RC||3|
|FSC204||Firefighting Tactics And Strategy||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in FSC113, or permission of Instructor, or equivalent.||RC||3|
|FSC208||Firefighter Safety and Building Construction||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in FSC113, or permission of Instructor, or equivalent.||RC||3|
|FSC214||Human Resource Management In Fire Service||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in FSC202 or four years in the fire service.||RC||3|
|FSC205||Command Strategies For Major Emergencies||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in FSC204.||RC||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses listed in the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Fire Officer Leadership (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=125813).