Learn more about the Computer Information Systems program.
Ask general questions at our support center.
The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Computer Applications: Microsoft Office Specialist/Basic program provides basic skills in computer software applications in a wide variety of occupations. Coursework includes basic software applications in word processing, electronic spreadsheets, database management, electronic messaging/personal information management, presentation graphics, and project management. This certificate program is designed to assist students in preparing for core examinations for certification as a Microsoft Office Specialist.
Suggested Course Plan Sequenced by Semester
Important information you’ll need when applying to MCC:
- Academic Career
- Degree/Certificate Type
- Career and Technical Certificate
- Academic Plan
- Computer Applications: Microsoft Office Specialist/Basic (CCL)
- Academic Plan Code
- Total Credits Required
- Catalog Year
What You’ll Learn
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Create, modify, and store mail messages using the special features and concepts of a desktop information management system.
- Perform microcomputer applications in word processing, spreadsheet, and database; explore basic business-personal computer concepts.
- Create spreadsheets for use in business decisions.
- Operate a computerized database program for management of business information.
- Create, modify, and store presentation documents with visual images and charts for business purposes, using a computer graphics program.
- Produce professionally formatted documents using word processing.
- Perform advanced applications in word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, integration and Internet; explore appropriate computer ethics.
- Keyboard mastery and proper basic formatting of documents.
- Use correct English grammar in written communication.
- Demonstrate a professional/positive image over the phone.
Successful completion of this program may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include CPD150, CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Students should meet with an academic advisor about any concerns that may affect course enrollment.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|OAS101||Computer Typing I: Keyboarding and Formatting||RC||3|
|CIS113DE||Microsoft Word: Word Processing||RC||3|
|Living Online or (MS Outlook: Level I and Microsoft Outlook: Level II)||No requisites or No requisites and Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in BPC106AH, or permission of Instructor.||RC||1|
|GBS104||Quality Telephone Techniques||RC||1|
|Excel Spreadsheet or (Excel: Level I and Excel: Level II)||No requisites or No requisites and Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in CIS114AE or permission of Instructor.||RC||2–3|
|Microsoft Access: Database Management or (Database Management: Microsoft Access - Level I and Database Management: Microsoft Access - Level II)||No requisites or No requisites and Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in CIS117AM or permission of Instructor.||RC||2–3|
|CIS118AB||Powerpoint: Level I||RC||1|
|CIS118BB||PowerPoint: Level II||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in CIS118AB.||RC||1|
|BPC100BD||Key Software Applications||RE||1|
|CIS121AE||Windows Operating System: Level I||RE||1|
|OAS118||10-Key By Touch||RE||1|
|OAS125||Introduction to the Professional Office||RE||3|
Ready to get started?
Follow one of the options below to get started on your personal career pathway.
Program Area Key
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
View MCCCD’s program website for the Certificate of Completion in Computer Applications: Microsoft Office Specialist/Basic (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=46022).
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2018-2019||5/29/2018 – 5/27/2019|